SPDIF / UAD Apollo Twin X

AnalogKid

Hoping to find some answers here, I tried the search function but in all honesty, I found myself even more confused. I've reached the limits of my product knowledge so I am hoping an expert can help.

I thought I'd try the SPDIF input on the Apollo to free up the preamps. I know the SPDIF ports on the FM9 operate at a fixed clock rate of 48k but no matter what I try, I am unable to set the clock rate on my Apollo to 48k and the Clock flashes red when I try to set it to SPDIF.

Apollo Thunderbolt 3 > Mac Mini M2
FM9 USB out > Mac Mini M2
FM9 SPDIF Out > Coax/Optical Converter Out > Apollo Twin X Optical In
Apollo Twin X Monitor out > Powered Monitors
FM9 Word Clock - Internal, Digital Input Source - SPDIF
Apollo Twin X Word Clock - ????
Apollo Twin X Rate ???

I posted the same call for help on the UAD forums as I am not sure if this is an FM9 or UAD issue. Can someone please help me make some sense of this? I am way over my head and frankly ready to give up. :disappointed:

You'll find instructions for that here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

Note that configuration 4 (or even 1, 2 or 3) in that guide might do what you want without having to resort to using spdif. If you need to use spdif, you'll find instructions for that in configuration #5. If you find you need to use spdif and you have the clock on the FM9 set to internal, you'll need to set the clock on the Apollo to spdif. If the Apollo is unable to acquire a clock when you do that, check your cables.

I don't see you mentioning the UAD Console 2 software. Have you tried to set it to 48k there and confirm it in the Audio/MIDI software on the Mac? IF you use Luna as a DAW you won't need to use Console 2 but with Logic Pro X, Protools Studio or Ableton Live it comes in quite handy. In Console 2 and Audio/MIDI Setup set the clock to "Internal". I run my FM9 via S/PDIF into my Apollo 8, which is connected to my Mac via TB2. I also go to the Console 2 settings page and set my I/O for channels 17/18 for S/PDIF because when the Mac boots it will read what the I/O settings are in the Console 2 software and supply the info to the Audio/MIDI Setup.

Go to the Universal Audio Support Channel on Youtube and you'll find a number of videos that will help you sort this out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help but unfortunately I was unable to get it to work. Disconnected everything and kept it simple.

FM9 USB > Mac Mini M2
FM9 XLR Out1 > Powered Monitors

Sounds great, now I'd like to figure out how to send my backing tracks to Output 2 so I can have better separation when playing along with my computer.

Thanks for the help but unfortunately I was unable to get it to work. Disconnected everything and kept it simple.

FM9 USB > Mac Mini M2
FM9 XLR Out1 > Powered Monitors

Sounds great, now I'd like to figure out how to send my backing tracks to Output 2 so I can have better separation when playing along with my computer.

There's no need to send the computer playback output to a separate output to have control over the mix of that with your guitar. See the instructions for configuration #1 in the recording guide to see how to control the level of your backing track independently from your guitar. Or use configuration #2 for even more control. However, if you still feel you need to send computer playback to a separate output, use usb channels 3/4 for computer output (use the speaker configuration in the audio/midi setup app to set that).

There's no need to send the computer playback output to a separate output to have control over the mix of that with your guitar. See the instructions for configuration #1 in the recording guide to see how to control the level of your backing track independently from your guitar. Or use configuration #2 for even more control. However, if you still feel you need to send computer playback to a separate output, use usb channels 3/4 for computer output (use the speaker configuration in the audio/midi setup app to set that).
Thanks Glenn, will read configurations 1 & 2 when I get back in town.

Back
Top Bottom