SPDIF connection with Logic Pro 9 for Re-Amping

SynFactory

Inspired
I think that I cannot understand how to connect the Axe FX for re amping...

Here is my gear

Guitar > U-Audio Solo 610 Pre > M-Audio Solo Firewire Mic input 1.

M-Audio Solo Spif Out > Axe FX Spdif In
Axe FX Spdif Out > M-Audio Solo Spif In

I changed in the Axe FX the I/O settings, for accepting the Digital Input.
I can listen the track, and the Axe FX recognised the signal, but it's dry, I don't receive the "wet" signal back.
I changed various settings but nothing works.

Did I have to put the Firewire Audio Card with External Sync and Logic with External Sync at 48 KHZ?

And what kind of track do I need to create in Logic to record the dry signal and listen the wet signal from Axe FX for reamping?

Thanks in advance!!

Hmmm... I tried the two SPDIF methods but I have the same problem...
I'm not able to route the wet signal back in the DAW.
The Axe FX recognise the signal but nothing come out...
Damn connections... :D

I noticed one other thing in the Audio Card control Panel. I don't receive any SPDIF in signal.
The out is ok but the in not...
I think that I will become crazy...

Reamping is really easy if you have the right gear. I'm no expert but this works for me and this is how I work. I keep everything digital in my setup and I have no idea how to do this with analog. Here's my 2 cent and I hope it helps you!

1). I use one of the two analog Hi-Z ports of my FireFace 400 to plug the guitar into. This will be my dry recorded track in Logic.
2). I use the S/PDIF connections to record the processed signal of the Axe into Logic.
3). Make sure the Axe is setup as Digital (I believe in the I/O menu)
4). Make sure that the soundcard is the master and locked to 48kHz (since the I/O is set as digital)
5). Create a new mono track in Logic and set the input to port-3 (or whatever port the guitar is plugged into). Set the output to S/PDIF (so that you can actually reamp).
6). Create a new stereo track in Logic and set the input to S/PDIF and the output to your monitors / speakers.

Now this basic setup makes it possible to record a dry track, but you also want to hear it at the same time without latency. The way I do it is to route port 3 within my FireFace immediately to S/PDIF so that I can hear it real-time. I think you can do it also in Logic by monitoring the dry channel, make sure that record is enabled on the S/PDIF channel. I don't know for sure though since I don't need to do it this way.

You can also probably do it by using the analog output1 and output2. If the processed signal is coming out of output1 and the dry signal out of output2 you can record both dry and processed signals. However reamping would be a pain because I think you need to modify your setup each-time you want to reamp (since you need the dry recorded track as input in the axe).

I like the way I do it because it makes recording and reamping easily. I hope this helps you! Let me know if you need any more help.

Maybe it is a cable problem because I set everything and It doesn't work...
I tried with a soundcard of a friend of mine that have more outputs, and I think that I will do it in the "analog" way because I don't have latency problems.
As I said is just for editing purpose, I will never record via Spdif...
By the way guys a big thank you to you!

Back
Top Bottom