Sound changes during playing

RomanD

I don't know if this is a bug or whatever...I've noticed this several times now...the sound of a preset changes slightly while playing if I change the switch on the guitar, i.e. switch from bridge to neck and back again to the bridge pickup...the sound then becomes slightly boomy and some mids are gone...if I pull the cable out of the guitar and plug it back in after a few seconds, the sound is normal again...it's not a huge change but you can hear it...I can't replicate it for some reason, it appears and then disappears again...I don't think it's the guitar, I've had it with 3 different ones...2 had active fishmans and one had passive black winters.
Have you had this too?

I have not had the FM3 change the sound of a tone just by changing the pickup selector back and forth.

This doesn't happen when you switch back and forth directly. For example, I play a rhythm part, then switch to the neck pickup for a solo, then go back to the bridge pickup and then this happens every now and then...

That doesn’t happen to me. I switch pickups often during a song.

This is either the guitar or a setting in a preset most likely. The fm3 doesn’t know when you’re changing pickups to make a change.

Last edited:
One possibility is your ears/brain are getting used to a tone. The time it takes to unplug and replug gives you time to readjust.
Have you tried this with different cables...I once had a cable that was going bad that did this as well.

Yes, I understand that, but maybe because of the change in the signal, the modulation or whatever... I have no idea what causes or can cause this.

@warlockII no, that is an audible difference, especially with the Fishmans you can hear it clearly when it is suddenly no longer so sawing in the middle but rather boomy

Yes, I understand that, but maybe because of the change in the signal, the modulation or whatever... I have no idea what causes or can cause this.

@warlockII no, that is an audible difference, especially with the Fishmans you can hear it clearly when it is suddenly no longer so sawing in the middle but rather boomy
you're using fishman fluence? or some active pickup? have the batteries been changed recently?

Again…. I used three different Guitars….
i'm not aware how the FM3 would possibly change a saved setting just by changing the guitar pickup switch. that doesn't send any signal or command to the FM3.

if you can record this happening, we can begin to help, but the issue you describe is not a feature of the FM3. i switch pickups at least 5 times in every song over 3 hours and the tone has never ever changed because of it as you describe.

That's my problem, I can't record it. I also know that there is no ghost in the machine that secretly turns the wheels. I don't have a cat that runs across the keyboard either. Unfortunately, it only happens sporadically so I can't reproduce it. I've tried that, of course. But it's definitely not my equipment's fault. I know it's hard to understand if you can't hear it. But it actually sounds like they're going back a bit in the middle. Take the cable out, put the cable in and everything is back to normal.

Another oddity... when I switch the metronome on, it clicks normally... if I plug in a guitar with the volume knob at 0, it stays normal. If I then turn up the volume knob, the sound of the metronome changes. The bass, if you can call it that, becomes less and the click becomes more mid-range. If I turn the volume knob on the guitar back to zero, the metronome click sounds like it did before. I can replicate that.

It has to be the FM3 surely? I reckon the only way you can rule it out is to try another FM3 and see if it disappears. I've never had that on my FM3.
I'm guessing you have no amps or other audio devices you can play through to test it?

Back
Top Bottom