Sonic Beating/"Tremoling" at High Gain/Notes

Cooper Carter

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Is anyone else experiencing a "beating" of high notes (common for me above 12th on high e) with high and even mid-gain amps?

Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7Bpo7rvhwM&t=02m36s

It happens in this case on the A (15th) and Ab (14th) on the high e.

And a less noticeable one (the three notes on the e): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj5J8dKbznE&t=07m35s

I thought maybe it was the instrument input level clipping, but I've adjusted that. I've tired other means of amplification and guitars as well. Any thoughts?

I'll post an example where I'm not trying to downplay it for a video as soon as I can.

Last edited:
sounds to me like your pickups are possibly too close to the strings..
back 'em off a little and that should clear up...

I'm going to second the guess that this is a guitar related (pickups too close to the strings) issue. My Axe-FX does not exhibit anything like that.

Interesting. Granted, I didn't think of this, but it is happening on other guitars as well.

try looking at the pup height on one offender, if that solves the prob then you're on to something so take a look at the others..

what can happen - especially with hi-output pups / pups that are too close - is that the magnetic field can interfere with the string's ability to vibrate freely

another thing that can occasionally cause beating is something else oscillating in sympathy like the springs of a whammie..
but to be honest, that is a very slightly different sound...
anyways.. to tighten up the guitar's tone, roll up some toilet paper roughly as long as a cigarette and a little fatter and stuff in into the gaps between the springs to dampen them down..
personally though I'd look at pup height first..

Had kind of same problem ,could be pickups as others have said,happens more with single coils I believe. But my problem was heavy picking and very low action. just listened again ,I heard note fretting out abit

Last edited:
Awesome. Thanks guys. Big help. I'm feeling embarrassed by my n00b assumption that it was an Axe problem :eek:ops Not at home now, but I will check this as soon as I am. It's entirely possible that both my JP6 and Strat are having the same problem. Guess I should have plugged one into an amp or something other than the Axe to check! :D

Had kind of same problem ,could be pickups as others have said,happens more with single coils I believe. But my problem was heavy picking and very low action. just listened again ,I heard note fretting out abit

if this was on an Ibanez.. the low action can slightly reduce string tension..
the heavy picking with this low tension could possibly been very slightly making the bridge 'flutter' ever so slightly..
so what you could have been hearing is a very quick but very gentle vibrato [changes in pitch]
a little more string pull from a slightly higher action along with a little less 'digging in' with the pick may have been what eliminated it by stabilising the bridge..

the vid clip above sounds more like tremolo [changes in volume] to my ears..
and notice that the effect is stronger on the plain strings rather than the wrapped strings..
this is what makes me think it's caused by magnetism...
of course I could be mistaken... but it seems to me like a good place to start looking..

Back
Top Bottom