Something wrong with samplerates and other issues!?

spufuz

Inspired
Well, I just got the AF2 and are very happy with its tones.
But i got some problems earlier today when i was using Cubase to record over som backingtracks.
I reopened the project after dinner and Cubase asked me if i would like to convert the backingtracks to 48 khz and i pressed ok.
When it converted, the AF2 was configured as the soundcard in Cubase, and a preset that i was working on was on.

When finished, the AF2 sounded like a ring modulator. Just as if there was a samplerate mismatch or something.
And a window started flashing and show up at the display saying something like "CPU overload".
I know i didnt use too many blocks since it worked fine before the problem occurred.
I of course thought that it was the computer/software that was the problem and tried a lot of things to get rid of the problem.
Reinstalling drivers, reinstalling cubase, changing settings and i even restored the win7 system to a earlier point!!

Then i discovered that is was only the preset that was active when cubase converted the files that sounded like crap.
All other presets worked fine!?

So what the h*ll happened?!

I did a restore on bank A to get rid of the faulty preset and started editing a new preset on number 000.

Everything fine so far, but after a while i started to get these transient sounds when working on a Eric Johnson tone.
When the sound occurs, i get that message "CPU overload".

Im really worried that something is wrong with the unit!?
And how can cubase cause problems in the AF2?
What should i do?

Last edited:
I should also add that is just discovered that is disappears if i change the drive block from "tube drive" to something else!
So it seems like the tubedrive is causing these sounds?!
Its also only occurring when connecter to the computer.

Although I don't use it myself and can't confirm right now, I believe using USB adds some cpu use. So if your patch was at like 98% before using USB, it could tip it over.

I don't know if that's relevant here, what's the CPU at on the patches in question?

I don't know if that's relevant here, what's the CPU at on the patches in question?

Is that viewable in the AF2 or just AxeEdit?
I cant get AxeEdit to connect with the AF2. Probably one of the problems they are working on for new version right?
So i guess i cant view cpu usage?

EDIT: Found it in the AF2.

You can see it via the front panel, hit the utility button and then page over to status.

Yeah, Edit's sketchy right now, it'll be up and running soon enough I reckon.

Drama, i think you were spot on about the CPU usage.
I actually thought something from the computer caused the overload. Well in one way i did because, as you said, the CPU usage went up when running USB.

I guess dual amp-models and cabs in one preset draws a lot of power, and the cpu-meter was almost at 96-98%. :D
So when i changed the tube-driver to anything else (that probably needs a lot less cpu) the usage decreased a lot.

Thank you so much for the help, i was really worried something was wrong with the unit!

But i cant stop wonder if my first problem was just a coincidence or if it had to do anything with the samplerate conversion!? :eek:

No problem man, glad we got the answer!

It's certainly possible that your initial issue was due to the sample rate conversion. I'd not think it'd come back under normal circumstances but if it does, for sure add to this thread and we'll try and get to the bottom of it.

Actually man, one more thing, as much as Edit isn't stable for editing patches at the moment, it's still cool for uploading cabs/patches/firmware. If it's not seeing your Axe, make sure your Axe is powered up and connected to your computer first. Then Launch edit. Go in to settings, Midi Settings and then make sure the Midi I/O is choosing your Axe for in and out. It *should* auto connect when it sees the Axe but yeah, it's a bit dicey right now.

Worth checking if it'll see it so you can get some patches and cabs uploaded if you wanted to, until the new Edit is out there.

Yes it would be nice to at least use it for uploading presets and IRs and stuff for now.

I have tried to reboot it and then start Axe edit, reboot it when Axe edit is running. Have checked the settings and they seem all right! :(

Back
Top Bottom