Some RCF ART thoughts please

yop53

Hi,

I'm really interested in RCF ART series but I can't fixe my mind between 310a 312A and 322A.
I'd prefer the 310s for there small size but I also read that 322s are much better.
Can you give me some advices?

P.S. I live in Europe so RCF are easier to find :)

Thanks in advance.

I bought a 322A and sent it back the next day. I didn't think the difference in quality over and above my Wharfedale active monitor justified the price tag and having to cart such an enormous beast to a gig. I'm hoping the Verve 12a will be better.

yop53 said:
Do you think it's because it's not wood?

Hmm, let's say have you ever heard a guitar cab made from plastic that sounded good?

Have you actually ever heard from a guitar amp manufacturer that designed a plastic guitar cab?

:cool:

I see what you mean, but there is axe-fx's user (even on this board) playing with RCF ART so I was just wondering if RCF ART could be a decent solution. FBT Verve for example are so much better?
It's not easy to find a store with both FBT and RCF that's why I am waiting for your help :)

I'm using ART 322a. It's a very decent solution for me.
There is some comparations with QSC HPRi in the forum. I can't compare with 12ma becouse i've never heard it.
I can compare with my previous Rig. Triaxis/JCM900/1960a cab. I can reproduce my previous tone without problems, only a little PEQ:Rolloff the low bass and boost a bit of mediums.
I dont think wood/fiber discussion is very usefull for what you want in a FRFR system: flat frequency response as possible, low weight and maximum radial coverture.

All the tone color in a Axefx-FRFR paradigm must be concentrated in Guitar responses and DSP algorithms. Let the rest be the more transparent as possible.

I'm using the RCF Art 310A for stage monitoring, and it is fine at lower volumes. If cranked to loud, loud volumes, it suffers a little.
For my uses, it's exactly what I need: light, transportable, relatively accurate, powered, smooth, not harsh or brittle.
I wouldn't recommend it for your only amplification, except in small garage or coffee house type settings; much larger, and you may need to crank it into the range where it doesn't project quite so well.
I got mine used, with a cover, for less than $400, so it fits the bill well, within these parameters.

I'm using an ART 322A. Love it. Sounds and works great. Unfortunately, it is the only PA/monitor style speaker I have owned, so I can't say anything as far as comparisons. As far as guitar, I've used it with a GT-10 and AxeFx. I also use it with a set of Roland TD-9SX e-drums.

When I bought it, my decision was between it and an HPR122i. I went with the RCF because of comments made in the 322A vs. HPR122i thread. Specifically, some comments were made that said they thought the RCF's highs were better. Also the 322A is lighter-weight. The RCF has a rated FR that goes 17Hz lower than the HPR122i.....this is especially good for e-drums. Next, I like how the RCF has both XLR and 1/4" connections. Finally, I wanted to try something "different" than the herd....I'm just that way sometimes.....it seems on this board that many more folks have HRP122i's than have ART 322A's.

I do have to say that I'm currently very tempted to get a Verve 12ma even if that would be herd following. lol. I've sold some other gear and may buy one in the future. If the Verve were to end up working better for guitar, I'd probably still keep the RCF for the e-drums.

I'm tempted to get the 322A :) the Verve 12ma is nearly the same price. I think I'll have to choose between this two ones, but I've never seen a comparison. Also I've never seen frequency diagram of the Verve 12ma...

:)

I've been using an ART 322A live for about 6 months with no complaints. I've only compared it with a JBL G2 and (no surprise) I thought the highs were smoother.

When I have a FOH feed, I prefer to use it as a medium volume side-fill, other times it's behind me for full-volume guitar amp simulation. Works fine standing up or as a wedge. I'd say its about as loud as a 50 watt tube amp, meaning that it can be just overpowered by a full-tilt 100W Fender Twin or similar - but that's really getting too loud anyway IMHO.

I use it with mic-level sensitivity and the volume on half, using an unbalanced connection from the AxeFX. That's mainly because I have a couple of dead-clean patches that need plenty of headroom, consequently my overdriven patches are quite low level so that everything has the roughly same perceived volume level.

For the fat-mid tones I like, some amp/cab combinations need gentle taming of the highs which I usually do with a PEQ, band 5 set to blocking but with low Q (eg 0.3). I also cut bass quite a lot, usually in the amp model with the low cut frequency (eg 120Hz) and quite low bass settings. When I first tried the factory patches (ver 5) into the 322A they all sounded thin and brittle, although I expect the version 7 ones would sound a lot better.

Re the comments above rubbishing plastic boxes, that's irrelevant for FRFR solutions. Sure, guitar cabs benefit from things like wood and no damping to colour the sound in some desirable way. FRFR is about being as neutral as possible.

Back
Top Bottom