Some covers of tunes by The Shadows

Greetings everyone,

Here are a few videos of myself covering some oldies but goldies by The Shadows. I'm using my '91 Blade R2 guitar with Seymour Duncan SSL1 pups into my Yamaha UD Stomp modulation/delay pedal, and then into the AxeFx II. The pedal goes into the front instrument input.

Axe Fx II - Shindig (The Shadows) - YouTube

AxeFx II - Wonderful Land (The Shadows) - YouTube

AxeFx II - Atlantis (The Shadows) - YouTube

My playing is not what the 'shadoogie' community would consider accurate, and neither are tone nor echo programming - and on top of this there are also some tuning issues -, but together with a friend of mine who is an 'authority' in Spain in everything 'Shadows', I'm working on the amp tone (almost nailed by now - not shown in the vids-) and that most ellusive echo sound. I will post the patch here when we have it ready.

Cheers

Thank you Termonti and VAmp!.

As mentioned In the videos I'm using my Yamaha UD-Stomp for echo, but, naturally I wanted to make the most of the AxeFx II and get rid of any external devices. I used two multidelays in series for the eco effect and the Vox AC30TB model - this is an example of how it sounded - http://soundcloud.com/raulinbosques/axe-fx-ii-wonderful-land-vers2 , but following my friend's advice now I am experimenting with the AC15 model and two tape delays running parallel. We are getting much closer to "that sound" now. Also, the guitar you use makes a big difference. Here's a video with "Blue Star". The guitar I'm using now is my Fernandes strat (stock pickups):

Last edited:
Hi vAmp,

thanks for asking. Just from scratch. After a couple of not-so-satisfactory attempts on my own, I 'm working now via email with a friend of mine -he's a real "shadoogie" and really knowledgeable on everything regarding The Shadows (amps, guitars, echo units, etc). Also, he's got a very discerning (and picky) ear in what respects to "that sound", so that he's able to tell apart every little nuance in EQ or anything that is not the "orthodox" sound. So, I tweak the patch and send an mp3 sample it to him and he tells me what I should change according to what he hears.

We're concentrating right now on getting the right amp tone. As mentioned, first I was using the AC30TB + 2x12 brit blue (RW) cab, but my friend didn't find it close enough to the early sound, so I started to add EQs and filters... in the end everything was turning out too complicated, so we started all over, forgetting about the echo for the moment.

To start with, I tried to emulate the sound in the tune Theme from Shane, which is just the AC15 plus reverb from the Abbey Road echo chamber. He asked me to choose the closest model to an AC15 and, obviously, I then used the AC15TB + 1x12 brit blue (67 cond Mic). For the Abbey Road reverb I used a reverb block with a medium hall reverb sim. After tweaking the tone controls (bass completely off, mid at two o'clock and treble at 4 o'clock), my friend considered that the sound was close enough - not perfect, though -, so that I started with the echoes and so on. The perfect choice would apparently be the Tape Delay sim, as it sounds very organic and allows easily modelling the "wow and flutter" from old tape echo machines. The problem is that it has only two taps and we need (at least) four.... and that is why I'm using two Tape Delay blocks with different tempos. Our echo programming is still far from correct.
Anyway, we're meeting sometime next weekend so that we can compare the sound with his own rig and tweak the patch straight away. He owns a really good echo machine (Atlantis echo unit) and a real nice Vox amp... I'll keep you and the rest of the community informed about our results.

just FYI, a few years ago we tried to do something similar with an AxeFx Standard I had (please, see vid here: Axe-Fx Apache settings - YouTube). We didn't have the Tape Delay back then and the amp sims were not as realistic/tweakable as they are now. I'm confident that we're going to fully "accomplish the mission" now.

Raul

Not bad man! I've been lucky enough to see Hank a few times & also done a few a covers myself. How I would love an authentic Hank Marvin strat (oh god i've just had to check ebay...), birdseye maple and all! Thats where the tone starts, and NOTHING is a substitute lol.

I'm sure with some fooling around on the axe fx you could get well close. I've still got all an old zoom somewhere programmed with echos from the past i think. Pretty cool little unit! I really wanted a quadraverb at the time but I couldnt afford it as a kid. I guess the actual meazzi stuff is the real killer.

P.S

This particular video (im sure you've seen) but I only saw in the last year. Great insight, as most people make the error of a simple tap tempo delay.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom