[solved] Axe-Fx 3 USB audio no sound

rr32btg

Inspired
Hello everyone.
Today I received my Axe FX 3 and it works like a charm as a USB audio interface with my MacBook Pro (macOS 10.15).
After some time I noticed that there is no sound at output 1 from USB (both FRFR and headphones are silent), but the sound from DSP processing of the guitar is still there.

I tried to reboot Axe but it not helps.
I tried to reconnect Axe and MacBook and still no sound.
I tried to reboot my MacBook and still no sound.

During each step, I doublechecked my system preferences - Axe was showing in the audio device list and set as the default output device.

After those attempts, I disconnect my MacBook from my Axe and ac charger and went to watch series. After some time I connected Axe again and it starts to work as it should.

After some time, when I was listening to music through headphones, the sound disappeared again.

What could be the reason for that behavior and how I can fix it?

I found the reason! Sound disappears because of the air conditioner in my apartment. It produces power surges when changing the operating mode. The sound disappears synchronously with the clicks occurring when the air conditioner is automatically turned on / off.

Ok, the reason is found. What should I do? Am I need to buy something like an ac filter? If that so which one would you recommend?

I live in a country with 220V network

Only Axe affected by this power surges. Other hardware works fine. I read a couple of times that Axe has a very good integrated power adapter and it can handle most of the issues in ac networks by itself.

Another strange thing is that only Axe USB audio affected. Other Axe functions work without issues during surges. Other USB audio devices also work fine.

I found that if the sound is disappeared quick reboot wouldn't help, but the switching off of the Axe during 5-10 minutes brings sound back.

I heard that Furman has something like an ac filter that potentially can help with power surges. Does anyone have experience with some kind of ac filters?

I would suspect it's not necessarily a power surge per se, rather the AC unit is interfering with USB power via other wireless USB devices being used. A cheaper option to try before getting a Furman, is get a 'powered' USB hub and plug USB devices into that. You could check this by unplugging all wireless USB devices and see if that makes any difference.

Having said that, a surge protector is never a bad idea.

I would suspect it's not necessarily a power surge per se, rather the AC unit is interfering with USB power via other wireless USB devices being used. A cheaper option to try before getting a Furman, is get a 'powered' USB hub and plug USB devices into that.

Having said that, a surge protector is never a bad idea.

hm.... thanks for the idea I will try it

I edited my post and added " You could check this by unplugging all wireless USB devices and see if that makes any difference. "

I edited my post and added " You could check this by unplugging all wireless USB devices and see if that makes any difference. "

It doesn't help - all unplugged except for Axe and AC cord. The problem is still here.

Sounds weird, I would expect the AxeFX itself to shutdown if it was actual power surge.

First place to start as always is try another USB cable.

I found the reason! Sound disappears because of the air conditioner in my apartment. It produces power surges when changing the operating mode. The sound disappears synchronously with the clicks occurring when the air conditioner is automatically turned on / off.

Ok, the reason is found. What should I do? Am I need to buy something like an ac filter? If that so which one would you recommend?

I live in a country with 220V network

Only Axe affected by this power surges. Other hardware works fine. I read a couple of times that Axe has a very good integrated power adapter and it can handle most of the issues in ac networks by itself.

Another strange thing is that only Axe USB audio affected. Other Axe functions work without issues during surges. Other USB audio devices also work fine.

I found that if the sound is disappeared quick reboot wouldn't help, but the switching off of the Axe during 5-10 minutes brings sound back.
The same problem,It happens to me when I turn on or off the light button with the relay and do not know what to do!

Back
Top Bottom