So is the MosValve 962 any good?

grunge782

I picked one up for 60 bux. Any other users of it? Is an Art sla-2 "better" or does it really make a difference since they are both solid state?

grunge782 said:
I picked one up for 60 bux. Any other users of it? Is an Art sla-2 "better" or does it really make a difference since they are both solid state?

The Mosvalve power amps are designed to distort like a tube power amp when driven hard. They are also designed to colour the sound the way a tube power amp designed for guitar colours the sound.
Is the 962 the one that's about 60 watts per side @ 8 ohms?
The one i used to use had a power rating something like that.

So, if you want to use the Axe as a preamp only without the power amp sim then the Mosvalve might be a good fit. IMO
Still, after a few years of using my Mosvalve and A/B-ing with tube power amps, it became clear to me how much better a real tube power amp sounded.

If you want to take full advantage of the Axe's power amp sims you'd be better off with the SLA2 which will colour your signal very little at any volume.
IMO

joegold said:
grunge782 said:

The Mosvalve power amps are designed to distort like a tube power amp when driven hard. They are also designed to colour the sound the way a tube power amp designed for guitar colours the sound.

So, if you want to use the Axe as a preamp only without the power amp sim then the Mosvalve might be a good fit. IMO
Still, after a few years of using my Mosvalve and A/B-ing with tube power amps, it became clear to me how much better a real tube power amp sounded.

If you want to take full advantage of the Axe's power amp sims you'd be better off with the SLA2 which will colour your signal very little at any volume.
IMO

Hmm... ok. I really would like to take advantage of the poweramp sims. Looks like I need to try out a more "clean" poweramp.

grunge782 said:
joegold said:
grunge782 said:

IMO

Hmm... ok. I really would like to take advantage of the poweramp sims. Looks like I need to try out a more "clean" poweramp.

Then again, $60 isn't much of a gamble.
You might dig the Mosvalve.
But IMHO there are much better power amps to use with the Axe.

I borowed that mosvalve from a friend and loved it. I spoke with Rob from tone merchants and he told me that it was actually better to turn the power amp sims on with the mosvalve. I argued and tried it any way, I found that the power sims made it sound even better. Im now using the new ART SLA-4 208w per side stereo and it sounds great!!!

I agree, amp modeling processors, especially the higher end ones, really shine on the clean Mosvalve.....

I use the MV-962 as my primary for my 4x12 set up.. I get any tone I need....

From the Owners Manual, Technical Specs section:

"OUTPUT POWER — 160 Watts RMS at 4 Ohms (80 watts per channel, both channels driven)"

80W per channel into 4 ohms? Looks to be a little light in power to me.

It's not, really.. I run this through my Marshall Basketweave 4x12.. 4x G12M greenbacks....100w cabinet

I can munch a Bonham head, kit destroying, oversized bass playing drummer, and cut through like a knife if I need to....never dimed the amp either.... if I need more power, supplement with the PA.....

In today's clubs, anything over a 100w amp is overkill IMO. And 300w cabinets cant break up nicely until driven hard.....

If anyone's interested, the link in my sig is a full site now.. I've archived all the Tube Works manuals, got alot of pics, forums, all that.. if any Tube Works fans feel like helping out, please do stop on by..

Thanks guys.

It's flat out awesome. I've tinkered with different power amps for guitar for years. It is the ideal power amp for an amp-simulating preamp, IMO. It doesn't compress the tone too much like the tube power amps I used, but has all of the volume, projection and warmth of a tube power amp. BTW, if has one of these or spots a used one, I'm looking for extras to buy because this is the only guitar power amp I will ever use.

I used the MosValve 942 (500 w/2) and ran it thru an EV sx300 and SB2A Subwoofer(adding the powered sub is the key to great FR onstage sound). It was the closest feel to playing thru an analog/tube rig but sounded consistently better on the recordings made at many gigs! I have tried many other combinations but this was the best to our ears. Now we have electronic drums and no amps or monitors on stage. Every thing goes thru the Bose(FOH) and in-ear monitors only. The recordings now sound even better but it doesn't feel better while playing.

It's flat out awesome. I've tinkered with different power amps for guitar for years. It is the ideal power amp for an amp-simulating preamp, IMO. It doesn't compress the tone too much like the tube power amps I used, but has all of the volume, projection and warmth of a tube power amp. BTW, if has one of these or spots a used one, I'm looking for extras to buy because this is the only guitar power amp I will ever use.

swmorgan77, please check your private messages

Back
Top Bottom