So how come none of the Cab IR makers do this anymore?

Yeah I think what I am asking is actually getting a little blurred here. I am willing to bet that IR manufactures are all for the most part using the exact same mic techniques. I mean most techniques are tried and true methods that have been honed over time by some of the worlds top engineers and producers. So it's a pretty safe bet that the actual technique of mic'ing the cab will not differ much from IR company to IR company, I think more of the differences are in capture method, and signature blends.

And yes I agree that while cap edge may work for a v30, but not for a greenback. But in reality I have mic'ed every cab I have ever owned, and the positions I usually end up going with regardless of the speaker type is typically cap edge and another mic out on the cone blended. Agreed that cap edge could vary by millimeters, but that is where I look to the IR manufacturer to pick the best sweet spot at that position.

People are also mis understanding, I own many ir's and I always find ir's I like, it just takes a while due having to audition hundreds to find the one I like. I give a slight edge to own hammer in this respect that there number scheme goes from bright being 1 to darker being 10. And I usually find favorites falling in the 4,5,6,7 range. That's not to say I never try the others, but I always start with those numbers because I know those are typically the ones I tend to like. That is the kind of system that would be nice for all IR manufacturers to adapt for cohesiveness.

Last edited:
@ML SOUND LAB, I was just re reading the readme doc that is included with your cab packs.
I fully understand the lettering system to your single mic IR's, but what isn't really clear in your readme doc is the numbering system. The readme doc just states, "The numbers mentioned after the letters describe different variations of the mic position."
Understanding that you aren't going to divulge any proprietary methods used, can you explain the numbering scheme?
Do these numbers correspond to set consistencies in "variations of mic position" that would cary over from cab pack to cab pack?

As I stated previously, what I like about ownhammer is their numbering scheme of 00-10. As stated in the Ownhammer readme doc, "
For microphones with position numbers 00 through 10, these positions represent movement across the face of the speaker along the relative sweet spot from brighter and closer to center (00) to darker and further out on the cap or cone (10). These numbers do not represent any specific unit of measure and are merely sequential arbitrary definitions."

I feel this gives me a better direction when beginning my search for an IR I would tend to gravitate towards, and it narrows my searching down A LOT.

Maybe if you could explain a little bit more about your numbering scheme is might help some of us to better discern a system for ourselves in seeking out the right IR for us.
Please do not misunderstand my intent here, I am not trying to pit OH against ML, nor do I mean any disrespect to anyone. I have MANY, probably more than I should, IR's from both manufacturers that I absolutely LOVE! I am just seeking out ways to streamline my processes, so I can spend more time playing and less time seeking, if that makes sense.

Following these two points, if certain positions aren't that great for a particular speaker, it might be better overall not to label the IR based on the position, as the people who would go straight for a certain position might think that the whole set of IRs is no good.
Yes maybe. But I don't have enough time in life to audition all the cabs. I just don't. I know, as an engineer with a small e, and a Guitarist with a big G, who has done countless sessions for myself and others, what various mic positions, distances on/off axis, do. If I miss something oh well. I just don't have that kind of time or interest really.

Back
Top Bottom