Small Power Amp Recommendations

Devster

Inspired
I have read most of the content here on the forums but as I'm about to pull the trigger on a AX-8 (please don't release MK2 tomorrow ) I need a small power amp to power speakers in the combos we have at our venue.

I've had the 44 magnum before with my AXE. It died eventually and not sure if the tone was anywhere near my Matrix (as you would expect ).

I've read the Quilter tone block amps colour the tone. Not sure about when the FX return is used though.

Can you please give me some guidance as to recommendations for a small amp to work wel with an AX-8 for gigging small venues.

Options I'm considering

44 magnum
ISP stealth
Quilter 101/201
Quilter micro 45

Thanks

I have read most of the content here on the forums but as I'm about to pull the trigger on a AX-8 (please don't release MK2 tomorrow ) I need a small power amp to power speakers in the combos we have at our venue.

I've had the 44 magnum before with my AXE. It died eventually and not sure if the tone was anywhere near my Matrix (as you would expect ).

I've read the Quilter tone block amps colour the tone. Not sure about when the FX return is used though.

Can you please give me some guidance as to recommendations for a small amp to work wel with an AX-8 for gigging small venues.

Options I'm considering

44 magnum
ISP stealth
Quilter 101/201
Quilter micro 45

Thanks

- The 44 magnum colors the sound but it sounds good. I had two for stereo but I sold them after I bought my Quilters.

- The Quilter 101/201 doesn't color the sound in their FX return, and they are amazing amps by themselves that you can play with 4CM. I have both and I recommend them :)

- The Quilter micro 45 colors the sound for sure, because it is the same preamp as the 101/201 on FullQ and it doesn't have an FX return;

- Never used an ISP Stealth but a lot of people here love it :)

I have an ISP Stealth and wouldn't have any reservations recommending it. I am selling it though because I tested it against a rackmount unit that I got very cheap and since I only use the amp cabinet at home I decided to keep the less expensive option. I also have a crate powerblock. The Stealth is a very good option. Let me know if you are interested in either the Stealth or powerblock.

Thanks. I was hoping to get a more AX-8 centric response so I posted here. There must be lots of experience here from people with the same set up as I'm planning

By the way, I will sell my Quilter 101 since I bought the 201 to replace it. If interested, ping me :D

The reason I got the 201 over the 101 is simple: more volume and the direct balanced out. Never used the headphone port so it is pointless to me. But I tested both side by side and of course they sound exactly the same.

I use the magnum 44 and it sounds awesome and is super loud. Plus it weighs like almost NOTHING. Literally the lightest pedal I have. The only downside is the adapter is about the size of the pedal (although also light) and really breaks easily. Definitely get a spare on Amazon.

I use the magnum 44 and it sounds awesome and is super loud. Plus it weighs like almost NOTHING. Literally the lightest pedal I have. The only downside is the adapter is about the size of the pedal (although also light) and really breaks easily. Definitely get a spare on Amazon.

That is another issue I had with the Magnum 44. The power supply is a monster brick, heavier then the pedal itself :(
That is one of the things I love about the Quilters. Standard power cable :D

It looks like the Magnum will start to go into overdrive when you turn it up. I personally wouldn't want that, just want clean volume from my power amp and let the AX8 handle all the tone.

I'm quite happy w/ my Matrix, but I love the idea of just having something like this on my pedalboard and not needing the rack...

It looks like the Magnum will start to go into overdrive when you turn it up. I personally wouldn't want that, just want clean volume from my power amp and let the AX8 handle all the tone.

I'm quite happy w/ my Matrix, but I love the idea of just having something like this on my pedalboard and not needing the rack...

Yes, but it takes A LOT of volume for it to overdrive, believe me, this pedal is LOUD!

But, that is another reason why I prefer using the Quilter's FX return also :D

There is just one trick on the Quilter: some voices set the PA section to double the power. Just be aware so you don't have a massive volume jump (or blow out your speaker). For example all basic voices on the Quilter 101 are 50W power, but if you set it to "Jazz" or "Surf", it doubles, so it jumps to up to 100W. And believe me, 100W on a Quilter is VERY loud, almost like a 100W tube PA.

On the Quilter 201 is even more ridiculous, because it is suppose to be 200W, but "Jazz" and "Surf" jumps to 400W. Basically it is a speaker blower :D (or a machine to make people death).

Just be aware. Even using the FX return you will bypass the pre-amp section of the Quilter, the voice config affects the power-amp loudness.

Thats fantastic all. As I said I have experience with the 44 magnum and am just a bit gun shy after the last one coloured the tone a bit and then died (intermittently which was difficult to problem solve) during gigs.

Looks like I may narrow down to the Quilter 101 and the stealth,

I was keen on the Quilter 45 but it sounds like the preamp will colour the tone. As I see it the whole point of having amp modelling is to get the pure tone from that.

Thats fantastic all. As I said I have experience with the 44 magnum and am just a bit gun shy after the last one coloured the tone a bit and then died (intermittently which was difficult to problem solve) during gigs.

Note that any problem I ever had with the Magnum 44 was that crappy adapter included. I bought a cheap spare adapter and just carry that around in case. Although the adapter is about as big as the pedal, it is pretty light weight. I'd bet the magnum 44 plus the adapter combined weight much less than the Quilter or Stealth. The pedal itself weight almost nothing. I don;'t find it colors the sound much until about 12 o'clock- maybe adds a little smoothness and warmth if anything. At 12 o'clock, this thing BLASTS - too loud for a small gig even.

Note that any problem I ever had with the Magnum 44 was that crappy adapter included. I bought a cheap spare adapter and just carry that around in case. Although the adapter is about as big as the pedal, it is pretty light weight. I'd bet the magnum 44 plus the adapter combined weight much less than the Quilter or Stealth. The pedal itself weight almost nothing. I don;'t find it colors the sound much until about 12 o'clock- maybe adds a little smoothness and warmth if anything. At 12 o'clock, this thing BLASTS - too loud for a small gig even.

I had both and nothing weights less than the Quilter 101. The 201 can be a little heavy but the 101 is built of fairy dust :)

I agree. Great to have more options in this category. I've got a deal on a used 44 magnum so will try that. If I'm going to keep the AX-8 then I may get the quilter 101 for long term use. Problem is that I never quite get around to selling the gear (in this case AXE) which the new stuff is supposed to replace ! Just in case .......

Hi all

You know the issues I have had so far.

Aim: To have a light weight, high power rig that I can use at practices (and tweak my tones at gig volumes) then play actual gigs using the AX-8 through the power amp into Combo guitar amp speakers

To Date : I Have a Matrix 1000FX for my AXE but it is quite heavy and not really super portable even in a 2U case. I bought a 44 magnum but it shat itself on the first song last gig. I guess the speaker (Blackstar HT combo) may have been too much to power. Rest of the gig was guitar straight into the amp so no effects whatsoever. Grrrrrr.

Options : Quilter 101 or 201. Fryette is too $$. Obviously like the size, price and headphone output of 101. But am worried that I may need the power and you can never have too much.

Decision : Please let me know your experiences of the Quilter 101 and 201 at gig volumes through a guitar combo cab/straight cab to see what will fulfil my requirements. I want to order one tomorrow to let it wing its way to me so I can get ready for our next gig.

And yes, if it goes to eleven its even better !!!

Back
Top Bottom