Slight difference, same presets in FM9 and AxeFXIII

macfly

Inspired
My AxeFXIII is at FW26. I recently upgraded my FM9 to FW8b1. I notice a very minor difference in presence, favoring the AxeFX. This is with the same presets/scenes, generally one is a 2203 and the other a JTM45. Anybody else notice this? FWIW, it's subtle enough that I didn't notice it until recorded the two for comparison.

It's really tough to get the firmware versions of the various Gen 3 units to completely sync up. Axe-Fx III FW 26.00 is pretty much matched with FM9 FW 8.00b1. But, by the time the FM9 beta was released, it may have included some elements of Axe-Fx III FW 26.01, or even 27.00 beta?

Also, when you import Axe-Fx III presets into an FM9 (or FM3), a couple of things are altered to initially same some CPU%. Check your Cab and reverb quality settings.

Even when all things are seemingly matched up, I can hear a very slight difference in the high end when quickly A/B'ing between them . Like a sampling rate or resolution difference?

Last edited:
I didn't mean to re-start the thread from June 5. In that, and above, I read about some solutions including cab resolution (can't find that in DynaCab on FM9) and Reverb (both are same), as well as tweaking presence and high treble. I switched one of the mics and changed the low slope, and the FM9 may even be better now! Will tinker with some of that in the AxeFX when I get back to it, but am happy to keep gigging with the FM9, as the rack my AxeFX is in weighs 40 lbs, and I still have to bring an FC12. FM9 for the win! Loving FW8 and excited for final release. And I guess then it's on to FW27 in one and FW9 in the other? Who knows!!! Love this stuff!!!

Back
Top Bottom