Slide Stuff

Jipps0525

Power User
For those who transition between slide and no slide during live gigs, but don’t have a mic stand for yourself, how are you transitioning between slide and no slide?

I always thought my back pocket worked well. It'd hold the slide in the right position to insert the finger and I didn't have to get my right hand involved. If what I'm wearing doesn't have a back-left pocket then the left pocket kinda works but the slide won't necessarily be in the right position.

I never tried this, but maybe put the slide on your amp or next to your modeler or pedalboard, in a 16oz deli cup. It'd be pretty easy to drop it in when done and it wouldn't roll away, and should be easy to grab from the cup when you need it.

Depends upon how much time is needed to make the transition.

If there's no mic stand, I have it on top of my Axe III rack or on my pedalboard and grab it before songs that require the slide.

If it's needed intermittently during a song, I typically practice different chord inversions and solo/riff fingerings that allow me to keep the slide on the finger.

If it's needed intermittently during a song, I typically practice different chord inversions and solo/riff fingerings that allow me to keep the slide on the finger.
I enjoy watching how Derek Trucks manages it. He'll be wearing the slide but playing a solo without it and switches back and forth almost like he just took a breath it's so effortless.

Paul Gilbert uses a magnet on or in his guitar to hold a metallic slide... Seen him a few times with it... it amazes me how seamless he works it.
Yes that is very cool but my guitars don’t have a pickguard to put the magnet under :(

By any chance does anyone know what the comparable US product for this is?

I see there is this one, but I’m not sure if the red is “heavy wall thickness” since it doesn’t say.

I have a slide that's a solid piece of metal about the diameter of a pencil that you wear like a ring. it has a tab on the slide that you use your adjoining finger to flip it to the top of your finger for regular play or to the bottom for playing slide. Haven't seen them around since I bought mine a while ago and I don't remember it's name.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom