six string bass advice for a guitarist

Randy4Guitars

Power User
Guys,

I've started playing bass at worship, but I'm having a problem. I'm playing a 5 string BEADG tuning and it's messing with me on both the 1st and 5th strings. I'm just too used to a 6 string EADGBE layout. So, I'm thinking of getting a 6 string bass and tuning it EADGBE. Does anyone have any advice about this, and in particular, recommendations for a decent 6 string bass? I currently have a 5 string Carvin LB75 and it's a bummer because I really like the way it feels, sounds and looks. I'm going to try changing strings to a EADGB tuning, but I think I'll still have trouble because I'm so used to the high E, which is now a B. Rather than quit the band, I think I'll be buying a 6 string and tuning it EADGBE so I don't go crazy. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Personally I would learn to play the bass you have. It will stretch your ear and expand your understanding of bass lines that much better. After a solid month you will see what I'm talking about.

I will try for awhile. I can keep the root and play lines, but my heart is in jazz and I keep hearing jazz-rock type bass lines. If I let go and start getting jazzy the instincts kick in and that's when I lose track of the notes on the fretboard. I adjust after a while but then when I switch back to guitar my brain is stuck on the other tuning. I keep thinking the low E is a B and the high E is a G and see 3 or 4 string relationships, for scales and such, and they are all messed up. Maybe I will get used to it but it's wreaking havoc now.

Simple cowboy chords are a 4th off and I've started losing track of the major 3rd interval at the B string. It more than keeps me on my toes. On top of this we are playing from sheet music and I barely read; I mostly play by ear. So maybe it's just all the new sensory overload stuff that's messing with me. That's why I think getting a 6 string with the same tuning will help me adapt while letting me stay focused on my guitar fretboard layout. But I'll give it time. Maybe your right and I just need to stretch my brain out a little.

But it's good to get out again and play with people. Haven't played bass since 1981 and last played lead guitar in 1988, I think.

I wouldn't go for a six-string, at least not for your reasons. If you tune it EADGBE those 2 high strings are going to be really high...like piccolo bass territory and you'll probably have to get piccolo strings to do it. Are you really going to use those strings? I put piccolo strings on a bass once just to try it. It was fun for some bass lead jazzy fusion type stuff but not a whole lot of practical purposes there.

Also, six-string basses really take some getting used to because of the wide neck. I've had 3 over the years but never kept them long because they're just flat out harder to play. With a six you really have to train yourself to keep the unplayed strings muted so they're not ringing out when you don't want them to. I like my 5'ers.

I'd say you just need to get used to the five. I remember when I first started on a 5-string. In the beginning, I taught myself to mentally ignore the low B for a while unless I had a direct purpose for using it. It became my thumbrest in the beginning. I got used to it and now use the low B all the time.

If you absolutely can not get used to a low B then I'd suggest a traditional 4-string. You can easily think of it as a guitar without the 2 high strings.

I would restring your 5 and add a high string vs. a low B.

Tuned: EADGB

This would take a new set of strings and an intonation change.

Richard

Thank you all for your advice, which I have taken to heart. I tried a six string and you are right it's quite a different beast. The neck seems twice as wide as my 5 string.

My brain is starting to separate the bass from guitar so the transition is much easier already, but this week I think I will restring with a EADGB tuning to try it out. I don't know any of the songs and everything is played off sheet music, and I stink at reading music, so if I skip a beat in the middle of a tune I'm just a beat away from a meltdown!

thanks again.

I died the same thing in high school. Keep it in the tuning it's an and practice your ass off. It's fun to learn! Although I am mainly a guitarist, I absolutely love playing bass.

Get a 4 string bass... problem solved.

If you don't want/need a low B a 5 string bass is useless... and think about it- for every string you add up- you only gain 5 more notes- and not many bassists play the top 2 strings on the upper 4-5 frets too often... so you're probably better off with a 4 string bass...

i can tell you're not a bass player- because you want E A D G B E- the G B E part of it is useless and not very useful to bass players- it makes all the patterns go out of wack- a 7 string bass is tuned B E A D G C F - and for a reason... (it's also the order of flats- look at the circle of 5ths= mind blown)

anyway- going from a standard 6 string to a standard 5 string only gives you 5 new notes- on top of that if you want to change the tuning to be more like a guitar then you're not properly using the way a bass is tuned to for patterns so its all messed up...

find a 4 string you like... i just see getting a 6 string bass as getting to complex and i bet $5 you'll start being tempted to throw in 3rds in chords and start doing too much and it wont sound good...

stick to a 4 string and just imagine its the low strings of the guitar- problem solved

Back
Top Bottom