Should I really “downgrade” to the FM3 ?

I “downgraded” from the Axe-FX III to the FM3 and it really wasn’t a downgrade, for me. The FM3 suits my current needs better and I was able to recoup some funds and make a buyer happy in the process.

🙂

I am not in this situation but probably for the next generation of Fractal devices, I will not go for the top of the game. My III mkI is already overkill for my needs, in all aspects from CPU to storage, amount of models .... I think it is a common place for many people and a testimony of how great these processors are.

I only would aim to the big one if was the only unit that had the ADA MP1 preamp model, of course.

Last edited:
Well figured I would share bit of an update; I went and bought a used FM3. Was looking at the b stock sale but then with tax etc it still comes in $1100 (still worth it of course) so thought I’d see what the used market had and saw I could save a few hundred bucks so went that route….

Obviously having a III I know more or less what to expect sound wise, but will be interesting to see if I feel any CPU hit which is my main concern.

Also will be curious how the 3 switches work, though I do have a FC6 I can hook up, or I made a custom 2 switch “extension” for the FC6 which probably would work great on the FM3 as well.

Main thing I’m really looking forward to with the fm3 though is having something I can use on a desktop. Seen a few cool looking laptop stands which should work great.

Having the display and the knobs right in front of me should let this work as a really nice performance controller with some synths and drum machines and give access to all the cool midi tempo synced delays etc

Of course being able to grab and go the unit for guitar jams etc should also be pretty cool too

Certainly going to hold off listing the III for sale til I put the fm3 through its paces, but I’m starting to think the fm3 should cover my needs pretty well.

Time will tell……

I am not in this situation but probably for the next generation of Fractal devices, I will not go for the top of the game. My III mkI is already overkill for my needs, in all aspects from CPU to storage, amount of models .... I think it is a common place for many people and a testimony of how great these processors are.

I only would aim to the big one if was the only unit that had the ADA MP1 preamp model, of course.
It's been awhile since I've seen the ADA MP1 referenced. It was used by one of my favorite guitarists in the 80's; namely, Bill Connors. I went through a number of preamps back then, but that and the Kitty Hawk Quattro were two of my favorites.

Back
Top Bottom