Should I go mono or stereo to FOH

Great topic. I use a stereo FRFR cab on stage from out 1 xlr's. To go mono to FOH from out 2 xlr's, do I just set out 2 to mono?

Great topic. I use a stereo FRFR cab on stage from out 1 xlr's. To go mono to FOH from out 2 xlr's, do I just set out 2 to mono?

The way I do it that works great is out 1 xlr to the pa is sum l+r in the global I/O settings and out 2 (fx send) is stereo which goes to my frfr amp. Then use Out 1 volume control knob to pa and the Out 2 volume control for my personal stage amp volume.

It's also kinda genre dependent. Punk Rock - Mono, Prog-Rock - Stereo. Many effects are a bit lackluster in mono in an ambient mix: but if there's keys or horns in the band, mono may sound more coherent. Horses for courses.

Last edited:
I can just give you what happened to me.
It's not too bad if you do not pan things back and forth. I had a friend say the right side was going whop, whop,whop. They couldn't hear the left channels got centered. If you're in your room you get the whole experience so stereo is cool in med to sml venues it kinda sux unless like like mentioned earlier you center the channels. Then it's not stereo anymore. We don't have a $30,000 sound system we're a bunch of old guys doin what we can before we die.

Try it, what cha got to loose. Do everything at least once that's how you learn. Oh yea, don't say watch this and stick yer fingers in the fan. Bad idea.

Peace!

Depends on the room size and acoustics. A lot may be lost in the translation.
If its a dominant sound you use, then it may well cut through in the mix and add to the ambience.

My focus is primarily tone and how it sits in the mix. the rest is icing.

Quote from the Axe-Fx III Owner's Manual:
  • Stereo: No special settings required.

• Half-Stereo: Leaving the Axe-Fx III in its default stereo configuration but connecting only one (Left) output results in a “half-stereo” setup. This works fine, aside from the exceptions mentioned above (ping-pong, panning, etc). No special settings required.

• Dual Mono: If you want to force your rig to mono, dual mono is one choice. Sonically, this is identical to half-stereo, with the same limitations, except that mono signal is produced at both the left and right jacks so you can connect to two monitors. To switch to dual mono, open SETUP: I/O: Audio and set Mode for the desired output to “COPY L->R”.

• Summed Mono: In this setup, left and right channels are added together resulting in an identical mono signal at both left and right outputs. This has the advantage of not discarding half of the sound, but summing has its own issues. For example, short delays or phase differences between channels can result in strange artifacts or even total cancellation. To switch to summed mono, open SETUP: I/O: Audio and set Mode for the desired output to “SUM L+R”.
I use "Half Stereo". Works fine.

The way I do it that works great is out 1 xlr to the pa is sum l+r in the global I/O settings and out 2 (fx send) is stereo which goes to my frfr amp. Then use Out 1 volume control knob to pa and the Out 2 volume control for my personal stage amp volume.
Thanks man

I would leave it in stereo. If you set it to mono, it will sum L+R, and to me, it has more artefacts than just running one of the sides to FOH
If you use SUM L+3 to the used OUT1 or OUT2 you won't have the artifacts and a good mono sound (no subject with delays phasing out one side another...like when using copy L-> R). Small venues -> no problem using stereo...big venues : IDK as I never play big venues.

Edit : will have to check on my Axe Fx as totally contrary to what wrote Yek. It's a setting I progammed 4 years ago and never retouched to that...TBC

I very often use the 2290 delay. It (by default) flips the phase of the R signal of the repeats, so they cancel out, if you sun L+R to get mono.

Back
Top Bottom