Settings Help From 9.02 to 10.5

ghldgr

Can anyone assist with what settings to dial in to make 10.05 anywhere near 9.02?

Note: I'm going direct into an apogee symphony into Pro Tools

I'm pretty sure I've installed the new firmware close to 10x so far using fractal bot. No matter what settings I've used to edit I still have that blanket over amp, muffled, very low end, mic pressed up to the cabinet sound. Almost every stock and fresh new preset. The complete opposite from the clarity and feel in 9.02

Here's what I've tried so far:
Install / Reinstall
System Clean Sys File
Reset Multiple times
Turn off/on multiple times
Stock Fw10 presets upload
Turned off MIMIC
Power supply to DC
Motor Drive to 0.01

Anything else I should try before giving up and just going back to 9.02 and losing Axe Edit?

Last edited:
Can't help with your question, but you might want to correct the title to read "10.05", just to avoid misleading info.

I've found I had to lower the bass and master volume. Also I've cut bass via the amp EQ. Most importantly I use to run presence and depth ACTIVE, to recreate that, pres dyn +3.5, depth dyn -3.5.

I've been banging my head up against V10.xx since it was released. It sounded horrible the first time I loaded it, after a few days I tried reloading it with a 100% improvement. But, I just couldn't get back that special thing I had in 9.02. My primary amp sim is the AC30TB. It sounds dull and lifeless and far too gainy now. Finally, just to test my conclusion that I had actually lost my mind, yesterday I reloaded 9.02. I'm not crazy after all.

So I'm going to stay on 9.02 for the present. It's not a big deal, I've been here before with other firmware versions. Eventually I'll either get it sussed out how to dial it, or a future update will change things. Or maybe I'll tone match the 9.02 AC30. :)

I've been banging my head up against V10.xx since it was released. It sounded horrible the first time I loaded it, after a few days I tried reloading it with a 100% improvement. But, I just couldn't get back that special thing I had in 9.02. My primary amp sim is the AC30TB. It sounds dull and lifeless and far too gainy now. Finally, just to test my conclusion that I had actually lost my mind, yesterday I reloaded 9.02. I'm not crazy after all.

So I'm going to stay on 9.02 for the present. It's not a big deal, I've been here before with other firmware versions. Eventually I'll either get it sussed out how to dial it, or a future update will change things. Or maybe I'll tone match the 9.02 AC30. :)

Same boat. Same main amp.

It just boggles my mind that an upgrade in firmware can completely sound like a different product. Almost unplayable. I'm just A/Bing stock presets from 9.02 to 10.05.

Would love to know if there are any other known issues besides not using Axe Edit to update firmware and banks. Something is just not right.

There was a post by Cliff about turning mimic off and adjusting something else to zero to get 9 tones in 10, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

There was a post by Cliff about turning mimic off and adjusting something else to zero to get 9 tones in 10, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

Yeah. It was MIMIC off, Triode Hardness to zero. Others said to change to AC to DC and Motor Drive to 0.01 as well.

Unfortunately, none of these suggestions work.

Yeah. It was MIMIC off, Triode Hardness to zero. Others said to change to AC to DC and Motor Drive to 0.01 as well.

Unfortunately, none of these suggestions work.

Hey there, i experienced a similar issue when i updated to FW10 and took me a while to figure out. Have you tried turning up the Dynamic Presence in the basic amp parameters? This seems to have sorted the muddy-ness i was getting when i first updated.

Hey just curious does fractal bot work with 9? I'm going to roll back as well

Yeah. It worked. I had to try it a couple of times. Also, tried the Dynamic Pres. Didn't really make a difference.

I'm sticking with 9.02 - I play direct into an apogee symphony.

Ya I rolled mine back as well. I understand that the amps sound and react more realistically but I'd rather have a good tone before it sounded more realistic.

I'm still running 9.02 on my main unit. I'm slowly tweaking 10.05 on my backup in hopes of finding that magic balance between the upside of each. I sure hope this is the last time a major tonal shift will come with an update, I have a 100 custom presets I use for our live original set.

Sorry to hear your frustrations on the AC30TB. I had 9.02 presets using that amp. Now I am on 10.02 and created/refreshed the old ones and I'm totally in love with the way the AC30TB, Suhr 18 and 30, and Boutique models sound for getting the typical low wattage gritty amps sound.

I'm not chasing tube amp realism. Although I kept a Marshall JCM800 2x12 combo and Boogie Studio Pre-amp in the late 80's and early 90's, I've been using digital modelers from Digitech GSP 5 through 2101, Korg A3, A2, A1, Boss GT6, Digitech RP1000, and a few Line6 floor products.

So, I'm just trying to out do those previous generation modelers....which of course, the Axe FX II completely blow away.

Changes to the tones of this model or that, don't really bother me, since there are a zillion amp, mic, cabinet, settings combinations. I can get what I need at any given time for any song.

My only frustration with "firmware progress" at times, is when the unit stops producing sound, or doesn't load presets / doesn't play nice with presets created on previous firmware revisions, or chirping between scene changes, or something technical like that, that effects it's reliability in a performance situation...I need reliability above more amps or features - it's already too many options when you really think about it. Sometimes I feel like the Axe FX is a car project in somebody's custom garage, and they keep tricking out the engine and making it produce horsepower, but they haven't addressed the under powered braking system (reliability or axe-edit incompatibility). The souped up car is only as good as each facet of it's performance - engine, suspension, brakes, frame rigidity, aerodynamics. In the same way, the Axe can have 10,000 amps, but if it makes a chirp when you change scenes, it's an expensive paper weight. I was glad to see Cliff jump right on that particular issue by releasing 10.05, instead of waiting until the other new amps are available for inclusion in the firmware. Reliability is paramount, otherwise the unit is completely useless as a performance tool.

Maybe reliability issues is for another thread. This one is about tone/feel lost from 9.02 which you have down while some of us here are still struggling with.

Last edited:
I still wonder if there is a freak issue with upgrading getting corrupted reading some of the threads here with the polarizing experiences

I had the same issue. I went thru each ac30 based preset and turned the drive down around 1.3 and the level up to +2.00 approximately. That brought me back to a good starting point. The drive is a nice feature used sparingly. I also found that 20% compression in the amp model added some depth. I didn't care for v10 at first but now that I'm dialed in, it sounds better than ever.

Back
Top Bottom