Setting up an AxeFX III to work with the FBC1010 Controller with the EurekaProm Chip

Brandon Whalen

Hey y'all -- I'm sharing this quick video guide to setting up an FCB1010 controller with the EurekaProm3 chip in hopes that I can save a few of you from having to go too deep down the forum wormhole to get your controller working.

One thing I did leave out in the video was the process for putting your EurekaProm chip into FA mode, which you need to do before you start programming. You can find a video for that process on the EurekaSound website (I'd link to the post but the forum isn't letting me hyperlink).

The video walks you through the following:
  • Setting up effects mode to turn on/off any block you want
  • Setting up Tempo Tap and Tuner in Effects mode
  • Using Special Mode to control your looper
  • Adding Preset -/+ and Scene -/+ buttons in Special Mode
  • Adding a global volume pedal
  • Congifuring an expression pedal with basically any knob in the Axe FX III
Out of the box, the only thing that worked with my EurekaProm Chip on the AxeFX III was Presets mode, so I was able to change presets and scenes. However, I wanted my expression pedals working, and I wanted to be able to control individual blocks in Effects mode.

There are a few forum posts saying that you need to program the CC numbers to be exactly what they were in the AxeFX II. That didn't work for me, but once I realized how easy it is to learn the CC number from your controller in the Axe FX III Midi Settings, the whole process was a breeze.

I'm super stoked to have this controller working, and it's made playing guitar with the Axe FX III even more fun. Plus I get to use a midi controller I picked up for $75 used.

Last edited:
Thanks! I used that for a while but I ended up going to the UNO chip, because it didn't allow me to set it up the way I wanted. I know a lot of people like it though. It's a good setup if you like to use the looper and don't mind the preset - scenes tap dance.

It's a good setup if you like to use the looper and don't mind the preset - scenes tap dance.

The nice thing is Effects Mode and Specials mode are entirely reconfigurable. So you can mix preset / scene changes in with your effects block buttons.

You will run out of real estate quickly though which I why I chose to have an Effects Mode control just about every block in my preset along with tuner and tempo tap -- then special mode is my wild card for any extra functions I need like presets up/down scenes up/down and looper.

Only thing I really wish I had was visual feedback on the preset name and scene name, but it would cost $900 for an FC12 and two expression pedals and it's not a $900 problem... I'd rather for buy more guitars with that cash :)

I know this is an old post, but I was curious if you’re still using the FCB1010. I found one of these used with the EurekaProm chip for $100. I’m on the fence on Axe Fx III with this or an FM3 with an FC6.

I know this is an old post, but I was curious if you’re still using the FCB1010. I found one of these used with the EurekaProm chip for $100. I’m on the fence on Axe Fx III with this or an FM3 with an FC6.
That is throughly a tough decision to make
Good luck with that. I am a AxeFXIII user and would recommend it. Also the fcb works good to do stuff with buttons, but in time it will run out of options the FC6 does have, that would be my flipside. Together with the FM3 I guess it's a better deal. Really tough one because the AxeFXIII is soooo good

Cheers

I loved the FCB1010 while I had it (before the FCs were released). I even made a series of videos on YouTube about making it work well with the Axe Fx III (my former username here is decreebass). That said, as soon as I got my FC6, there was no looking back. I rarely use expression pedals and the way the FC's footswitches are designed, they're FAR more powerful than they seem at first glance. Then again, it's $500 vs $100, so...

If you do get the FCB, I suggest looking into the MIDImizer (not sure if it's still around). It's a mod that lets you ditch the bulky power cable for the FCB and power it with the same RJ9 cable you use to connect it to the Axe. It's super handy.

Back
Top Bottom