SERIOUS Crackle problem

malenko

Just turned on my unit to play and got this awful crackling noise. It's only a couple months old and since I got it I've been scratching my head getting rid of interference from a rack tuner and then a ground loop which I cured but now this!
I ended up turning everything in my studio off except the Axe and plugged headphones direct into it but still crackling, even disconnected everything except the guitar and phones from the Axe. Turned of all lights, even the dimmer which at times does interfere and even went round the house and turned the wifi and stuff off and told the wife to turn tv and sky off but still crackling! Stood outside my studio with the guitar but still crackling. It ain't the pups either as tried with both active and passive. I seemed to have tried everything so is my unit faulty?
This has happened a couple times before but has simply disappeared after 10-20 mins so thought it may have been interference from something else but now I think I'm sure it's not.
Here it is with a fairly heavily gated and patch https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14336248/Strange Crackle 1.mp3
And a simple 5150 patch with hardly any gate https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14336248/Strange Crackle 2.mp3

This crackle was not here when I last used it a couple of nights ago and using the same patches.

Any help greatly appreciated as I'm tearing my hair out now as the Axe is unusable.

Just to help narrow down the possible culprit: Which model AxeFX to you have? Which FW version?

I listened to your MP3 files. That sounds like RFI / SCR noise, perhaps caused by a dimmer or electric motor. Does the AxeFX make that sound with the guitar cable unplugged?

I have a XL running 7.06.
I do have a dimmer in my studio but I turned it off, can't see how it would affect when turned off but could be wrong.
Yeah does sound a bit like a motor affecting it but everything was switched off and even unplugged. All that was left on in the house was a couple of lights.
Noise stopped when guitar unplugged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a XL running 7.06.
I do have a dimmer in my studio but I turned it off, can't see how it would affect when turned off but could be wrong.
Yeah does sound a bit like a motor affecting it but everything was switched off and even unplugged. All that was left on in the house was a couple of lights.
Noise stopped when guitar unplugged

That suggests the noise is being introduced outside the AxeFX. You indicated you have replicated this with multiple guitars. Have you tried different cables as well? Might be a bad shield on the instrument cable. Also: some dimmers introduce electrical noise even when turned off, due to the switch not completely removing the dimmer from the circuit; effectively it's presenting 100% resistance to electrical flow, and that can induce a buzz in audio gear.

I have a persistent electrical noise in my house in one specific room. I personally wired the entire house, and my power is 100% silent and clean everywhere else in the house. However, in that one particular room there is a loud buzz and I've not been able to eradicate it. It's the dining room, so it isn't a big problem in terms of where I practice / play (usually at least). But it is a puzzle.

If you have dimming at 100% that could actually be the worst (unless it is truely OFF that way). "Dimmer OFF" would be "100% ON" in my book, and to be sure: take it "out of the loop" if possible. It's still one of the main "dirty electricity" sources nowadays.
But much stuff is.

Although I didn't listen to your clips, I have terrible crackles and motors like that and the source seems to be inside my PC case.

Ok cheers, well maybe I will try and swap out the dimmer and hope that might work, I'm sure it's not my cable as it's a very good quality one but I shall try another one.
What I find really strange is that it has all of a sudden happened, that's the bit I don't get.
If I get chance when I get in from work, I will try switch off everything on the house's main fuse box except the studio socket circuit to see if that stop's it but I bet the noise won't be there when I try.

Right, just got home and tested. Turned all electrics off at the mains except the socket circuit for the floor of my studio and I still have that nasty crackle. The only thing on that circuit switched on is the Axe and I changed the guitar lead so I'm thinking more now my unit is faulty.
Another strange thing was when I unplug my mission pedal from the pedal 1 jack, the tone of the crackle changed slightly, a little less bright. Weird
Is it time to get in touch with G66?

To be honest, I would expect some kind of radiation influence more than dirty electricity. [upd.: I mean magnetic interference "through the air", which could be dirty electricity too, I guess...]
IIRC, I think we've once had someone here that had radiation coming from many meters outside his house (some kind of transformer house or something on the street) to mess up his sound.

Still, I am gonna try to run the Axe from a battery with a 12V -> 220V transformer for camping somewhere this week, I hope.
I'll try and let you know.

Even though mine was fine at a friend's studio and used to be better here at home too, in the end you always start thinking you have a dud...
It's not unplayable, but most of the fun is gone.
Well, part of it is just getting away from my PC, trying another cable, etc. And retesting at friend's studio.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
Thanks vAmp for the encouragement! I really need it cause at the moment my problems sucks big time!

You kinda flagged up a suspicion I had that was trying to ignore. At the back of my garden there is a strip of land that runs parallel to the back of my house and unfortunately its its empty because it has a run of the major power lines. They are the big buggers too, with the biggest pylons you get here, direct from the power station I believe. There is also a smaller set of lines too of which run alongside and one of their pylons is situated about 40 feet away, a couple of gardens down. Bad news I know. I bought the house because nobody can build at the back but perhaps that weren't such a good idea now.
Because the crackle stops when I unplug the guitar lead, it certainly leads me to think it's not the Axe FX as the guitar pickups are obviously acting like receivers. So it is either the pylon/wires at the back interfering or I could still possibly have something dirty running through my powerline, maybe even from next door. I also know it's my house cause I took the Axe and a guitar over to my parent's house today which is half hour drive away and the Axe was as quite as a mouse there.
But after speaking with my Dad, who knows a fair bit about electric because of his job, he was pointing more towards a dirty line in my house. You see the last couple of days have been chilly here so there has been a bit of moisture in the air, so I thought that's maybe why my guitar could be picking up the pylon's, but today was very warm and dry so it blows that idea plus my dad reckons to get that kind of interference, I would probably need to stand directly beneath them.
So, I'm pinning my hopes on it being a dirty power line as that may be fixed with a power conditioner. If it is the pylons then I am truly screwed.

Obviously I've seen the Samson's or Furman's, but don't have a clue which model is best suited for conditioning. Can anyone recommend as I don't have a clue really, and from what I can see, some are more of a distributor and spike protection.
Also because they have IEC outlet's, I have a couple of unit's in my rack that use the dreaded wall wart's, how would I plug these in?

I really hope a conditioner will solve it otherwise I may have to sell my Axe :cry

One of the more effective solutions for dirty electricity in the wires are probably Stetzerizer filters.
I think they are just expensive capacitors taking off dirty electricity spiking, but AFAIK they do have a good name (in the alternative health world at least) and other solutions would be more expensive and more "out there" if you are a mainstream science type ;)
There are solutions for most things nowadays, but not always easy, cheap or "scientifically proven" yet.
Worst case: to make a small spot where you can play should be possible in any case, I'd hope.

A Furman, idk. You may get lucky or buy the "$1000" one and still not be helped.
Which in your case is what I'm afraid of, as we seem to agree it's probably coming through the air and picked up by the guitar.

In any case, Stetzerizers also make your house much healthier, cos this dirty electricity is probably reaching you through the walls meters into your space. So for me they are a no-brainer (I still wanna get some European versions of them myself).
If the source is something else (as we think), there are probably solutions too. I have some books or guys I could ask maybe. This info is becoming more and more popular and important because it's all around us nowadays (Smart Meters are said to be among the worst for your health, and wireless DECT phones [they make baby phones w this tech too :eek: ], cause the base station is radiating on dangerous freqs *all the time*(unlike a common cell phone) (at least if the phone is off it), like having your own cell phone tower...). The smart phones are worse again too, always polling left and right (unless you deactivate that).

I do realize I may be throwing different interference sources together here maybe (a common mistake in this "field" :) )
Most are bad to very bad for your health, but only some may be the cause of the Axe probs.

I may look up a bit about those wires you have if I have more time.
Good to hear yours is fine too in another home.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Until further notice, here are some more opinions from the Top Dog ;)

- Cliff, 3/2014: This means there is a magnetic field being generated by either the Axe-Fx or the monitors or something else that isn't there when using the Boogie. P90s are single-coil pickups and therefore suffer from magnetic interference. Magnetic fields are caused by currents in a loop. The hum you hear from a single-coil pickup is the AC power creating a magnetic field that is generating a voltage in the pickups. Typically you can find the offending source by using your guitar as an antenna and moving it around. The key to minimizing magnetic fields is to minimize the loop area. Ideally the current going into a device should exit the device on "neutral" conductor. If, for some reason, the return current is flowing through the safety ground you may generate a large magnetic field. Return current should never flow in a safety ground except under a fault condition. Some old houses have very poor wiring where the AC line and neutral are not run as pairs. This invariably causes extreme current loops.
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/83899-p90s-horrible-humm.html

- Cliff, 12/2013: It is important to differentiate between "noise" and "interference". Technically noise is thermal noise created by the resistive components in the guitar itself and the electronics in the amplifier (or Axe-Fx). Interference is unwanted signals coupling into the system somehow. You can't do much about noise unless you want to reduce the ambient temperature significantly. The amount of noise produced is 4KTBR where the T is the temperature in Kelvin. Cut the temperature in half and you'll cut the noise in half. Unfortunately both the equipment and the human would probably not function at that temperature. Interference is a two-sided problem. There is the source and the receiver. The source can be fluorescent lights, dimmers, transformers, computers, monitors, etc., etc. The receiver is your guitar. The humbucker pickup was invented to combat the interference at the receiver. Interference in electric guitars is primarily magnetic since pickups are magnetic transducers.. Magnetic fields are generated whenever there is current flowing in a loop. The strength of the field is proportional to the area of the loop so keeping the loop area as small as possible can reduce interference. Removing the source of the noise is recommended in recording environments. There are a variety of approaches that may be beyond the scope of this quick posting. Some are obvious. Others are more esoteric and involve making sure that the loop area of the electrical distribution is as small as possible. One common source of interference is the USB cable. USB is improperly specified and requires a ground at both ends of the cable. This creates a ground loop which can induce noise currents in the interconnected equipment or radiate noise due to current flowing in the shield in a loop. Using a USB cable with an integrated common-mode choke can help. Make sure all your equipment is plugged into the same AC outlet (or power strip).
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...d-use-some-tips-eliminating-noise-issues.html

- What are the biggest culprits of noise in a passive guitars electronics? And are there any modifications that work to lower it?
> Cliff: There are two types of "noise". One is thermal noise, the other is more correctly identified as interference. Thermal noise (Johnson noise) is a function of resistance, temperature and bandwidth. The noise voltage is given by sqrt(4KTBR), where K is Boltzman's constant, T is temperature, B is bandwidth and R is resistance. Thermal noise is "white" and contributes "hiss". There is little you can do to reduce thermal noise. You can use low impedance pickups but then your signal level drops too so the S/N ratio isn't improved. Active pickups can sometimes help if they use a good low-noise preamp. Since noise power is a function of bandwidth you can use a lowpass filter to reduce the noise. Interference is hum, buzz and any other non-stochastic process. Interference is not noise. Noise is random, interference is not. Interference can be mitigated. Shielding the guitar, using noise-cancelling pickups and accessories and other techniques can reduce interference to negligible levels. Sometimes it's easier to kill interference at the source, i.e. get rid of the old CRT monitor.

Last edited:
vAmp, thank you soo much for your input, and you come across any more info that may help I will greatly appreciate it.:encouragement:

I've just had a quick look at those Stetzerizer filters, yeah they look like they may help but I couldn't see how to get hold of them in the UK so will have to do a bit of digging.
Just ordered a Samson Powerbrite PB10 today in the hope that, that might help. Yeah it could be a bummer as even the most expensive conditioner may do nothing but thought I would give it a try, the shop I've got it from are pretty cool and have said if it doesn't solve my problem then I can send it back if need. Will have it tomorrow so fingers crossed.

vAmp, thank you soo much for your input, and if you come across any more info that may help I will greatly appreciate it.:encouragement:

I've just had a quick look at those Stetzerizer filters, yeah they look like they may help but I couldn't see how to get hold of them in the UK so will have to do a bit of digging.
Just ordered a Samson Powerbrite PB10 today in the hope that, that might help. Yeah it could be a bummer as even the most expensive conditioner may do nothing but thought I would give it a try, the shop I've got it from are pretty cool and have said if it doesn't solve my problem then I can send it back if need. Will have it tomorrow so fingers crossed.

I have tested the XL with all types of fluorescents, dimmers (even known bad ones), and ground fault circuits, and have never had noise injected like that into the XL (or even II for that matter). The first thing I would look at is your cable and/or guitar connections. A cheap or overly expensive cable, dirty input jack, or even a bad ground in the guitar...check those things.

Didn't notice you were from the UK.

The guy I feel is most valuable about these matters lives in Holland. He prefers a German brand for these kind of Stetzerizers and once said:

"I also use the Stetzerizer meter as standard procedure. However I do not approve of their filters here in Europe. They lack a CE mark, the housing is wacky as are the contacts for European (German, Dutch, Belgian) wall sockets. They also lack a grounding pin. I have found a German alternative that works fine for me. They do not filter as much as the Stetzer filters, but do not have the possibility of unwanted resonances in our 230 V/50 Hz mains, by which electronic equipment may damage. The Stetzerizer meter has to be plugged into a wall socket. I have also determined the value at which electrosensibles do not have complaints." – Charles Claessens
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/bioelectromagnetics/message/3577

I would guess it's the one on top here:
Bajog electronic: Produktübersicht (mother site: EMV New Line GmbH : Produkte )
Netzfilter / Netzentstörfilter / EMV - Filter 2-Phasen - standard-bis 20 Ampere
www.bajog.de/fileadmin/downloads/Produkte/Einzelprodukte/E2_LK_DL_UEbers.pdf
(don't know if it is suitable for the UK and which plugs and Volts you have there...)

I may write the Dutch guy for confirmation and how many he recommends (for health), because you usually need more than one (IIRC, you could need up to 15 for the whole home :eek: ) and preferably a meter to see how things are improving. However, I don't think this is a prob for the power of the Axe, but the dirty electricity just *may* be picked up by the guitar coming out of walls and wires.

Like Cliff said: you should be able to test with your guitar where it gets louder to not waste money on the wrong treatments.

Then lastly an interesting tidbit I had in my notes about high tension power lines ... :| :
"Research has identified a harmful but ignored energy that is emitted from high tension power lines. Not radiation is the culprit, but an energy known as Positive Static Electricity. High-tension power lines are prolific producers of positive ions, and such positive ion clouds can cause diseases. Suffering diseases by living close to power lines is a known fact and wrongly radiation is blamed for it."
Power Lines, Static Electricity and Diseases

Who knows it is this static cloud possibly hanging there that is the source after all?
Maybe try to get closer with a guitar and see what happens...
Be sure to have a camera record your pyrotechnics and "last moments"... ;)

Last edited:
WTF!! Got home from work today and thought I would just try the Axe out of curiosity before getting the conditioner tomorrow and the crackle has gone! What the hell is going on?

This is definite either the pylons or I'm guessing something from my next door neighbour.
Yeah maybe the static cloud, dependant on the wind, could be to blame. After all my house is right next to them but a bit scary about the disease speculation, although I haven't started to radiate green yet lol. That made me laugh though, off getting closer with my guitar, certainly would need to be filmed. I could pretend I was a rock god with the arcing for around a split second I guess :)

I'm still leaning towards perhaps my neighbour. The way it has just stopped and as I've said, I had it a few weeks ago and spent 20 minutes tearing my hair out and rig apart to find the cause for it to suddenly stop. The interior walls of my house are of the crappy metal stud kind so basically I have loads of vertical antenna's everywhere plus it's also a terraced house so extreme proximity to anything my neighbours either side might be using electrically. I don't know them to well to ask and could be an embarrassing situation to find it's them charging their large collection of ... toys ;)

Is typical too that it disappears after I have ordered a conditioner. I still have a slight buzz, which sounds normal but it might clean that up and who knows improve tone??

Still think the Stetzerizers are a good idea what with living so close to the pylons so I will look more into them and vAmp thank you so much again, and if you do learn of anymore tidbits I will greatly appreciate it as I'm sure this crackle will come back.

Back
Top Bottom