[won't happen] Second amp block if reverb not in the preset

pavel.dashkov

I use FM3 with an external reverb pedal.
And I'm a big fan of dual amp setups. I know the amp block requires a lot of CPU power. But I'm not using reverb block which requires a lot of CPU power too.
It would be great to enable a second amp block if a reverb block not using.

Fractal:

"We could potentially do two amp blocks but at reduced quality and I don't want to do that. Part of the problem with other modelers is that they don't oversample enough (and use single-precision in places where you need double-precision). Then you get complaints of artifacts and ear fatigue and all the other things associated with inadequate sample rate and word length. The vast majority of users only use one amp block so we wanted to make something with one very high quality "Ares" amp block."

+1 , I'm using my FM3 with my other pedals, would be great if I could use 2 amp blocks & cabs, even with the expense of nothing else in the preset.

I would like this as well. I can use pedals or plugins for reverb (including the wonderful FAS-FX Reverb) but I can't do two amp blocks without getting another FM3 or going for the larger FM9/Axe-Fx 3 which I don't care for.

But I assume that Fractal's system is not setup to allow this if it uses a dedicated core for the amp modeling.

+1, Would love to run outboard stereo pedals into 2 amp blocks, even with nothing but amps and cabs in the preset

+1 but I'm like 100% sure, it's not possible for the FM3.

"On the FM3, amp modeling and reverb do NOT run on the same processor; this was true for an early beta version but not in the final release version."
"On the FM9, the two Reverb blocks run in a dedicated DSP core, without much of an impact on the the overall CPU usage."

+1
How about new dual preamp block. Two preamps in to the same power amp. Only one cab block needed.

+1
How about new dual preamp block. Two preamps in to the same power amp. Only one cab block needed.
Well, I'd rather go for something like real amp blocks then. Like hey, here's a 5150 and it has a clean preamp and a rhythm preamp and a lead preamp, all going into the same power amp. So switching would really occur only in the preamp section, I guess that this would then decrease the latency in switching. It would limit you just to one power amp for all channels, no changes possible etc.

BUT ... sometimes this is not possible to model that it is authentic, because manufacturers are also switching circuits in the power section for channels etc.

This would be nice, but I think we would have to sacrifice more than just the reverb for two amp blocks running on the FM3. If I remember correctly one cpu is completely used for the amp block and the delays.
But having the possibilty of running two amp blocks and the stereo cab block would be really nice as a pedal platform. Even if not much else or nothing can run at the same time. I also totally agree with not sacrificing any qualitiy of the amp modelling. So I rather have one good amp block, than two with a lower quality ...

The split into pre- and poweramps was wished for before and I think it was stated that this is not possible. Please correct me if I remember that wrongly.

This would be nice, but I think we would have to sacrifice more than just the reverb for two amp blocks running on the FM3. If I remember correctly one cpu is completely used for the amp block and the delays.
But having the possibilty of running two amp blocks and the stereo cab block would be really nice as a pedal platform. Even if not much else or nothing can run at the same time. I also totally agree with not sacrificing any qualitiy of the amp modelling. So I rather have one good amp block, than two with a lower quality ...

The split into pre- and poweramps was wished for before and I think it was stated that this is not possible. Please correct me if I remember that wrongly.
I would be fine with two amp blocks at reduced quality. The Axe-Fx 2 reduced oversampling with dual amp blocks and the audible difference was pretty minimal.

I've got two amp blocks in my III but never have I felt I'm missing out not have two in my FM3

YMMV

I've got two amp blocks in my III but never have I felt I'm missing out not have two in my FM3

YMMV
When I had the Axe-Fx 2 I liked having the option, even if most of my presets just used a single amp. Considering current gen has also 4 channels with different models and/or settings there's less need for that second block. But it would still be nice to have when you do want some dual amp action...

I would be fine with two amp blocks at reduced quality. The Axe-Fx 2 reduced oversampling with dual amp blocks and the audible difference was pretty minimal.
A lot of others would be fine with it as well. FAS, however, has said they're not which is why it hasn't happened. There's always the possibility that Cliff has another moment of enlightenment where he's able to make it work to his satisfaction but until then, it's really a moot point.

Back
Top Bottom