School me on the different Les Paul guitars!

Sixstring

Legend!
I have been thinking about adding a Les Paul to my collection and don't really know all there is to know about the different makes of Les Pauls out there which there seems to be quite a few. I'm not looking to go super high end more of a workhorse guitar so the $800-$1500 range but I want it to be a Les Paul. I'm not into the 50's baseball bat neck carves if that helps weed out a few of the models.

Cheers!

CMG Guitars! Carved neck heel is awesome, and the few I've tried played well and just felt really good overall.

I played an Epi LP for a long time, I loved it, but eventually I felt like my fretting hand wrist was breaking from the thickness of the neck heel.

I know this isn't your question, but I'd take a look anyway.

1691768921705.gif

"Les Paul".. hmm.. Gibson? or Les Paul type?

If not Gibson brand then Schecter Solo II Custom is one good choice to check.

https://www.schecterguitars.com/Solo-II-Custom?quantity=1&custitem_color_master_list=269
(there is four different body colors).

I have one Schecter Solo II Custom GNAT and that is very good guitar in every way, sounds good and quality good.
Several years ago I had Gibson LP 2012 Standard which also very good but I sold it.

That Schecter Solo II Custom is more affordable price but it's quality is more like expensive price category so it´s very good
choice and at least good to check.

Also FNG guitars have good choice https://www.thomann.de/fi/fgn_neo_classic_nls10rfm_fcb.htm

I have this one: https://www.schecterguitars.com/Solo-II-Custom?quantity=1&custitem_color_master_list=1065

Schecter_kokokuva_paalta.jpg

If you want play from upper register (above 16-22 frets, then think about that, compare that body/neck joint, Schecter has very nice shape and easier to reach upper register.

Hope you find a nice Les Paul.

$800-$1500 range but I want it to be a Les Paul.

Cheers!
Does this mean Gibson only? Are you interested in Epi or maybe other brands not associated with Gibson. I always wanted an LP but I never found one that feels comfortable when I play it so I went outside the Gibson brand and bought a LP inspired guitar,

I agree with Chris. Sadly, I've never really liked Studios or Tributes. I'm not sure why - it may just be looks.

Give Epiphone a try. They're actually good. I used to own both an epiphone and gibson Standard 50s. I don't think they have baseball bat necks...fwiw, neither do the few vintage ones I've played.The Epi neck was definitely fuller but also more D-shaped.

I kept the Gibson and sold the Epiphone because I like it a lot better. It wasn't sound...it was some kind of ephemeral feel and/or the knowledge that I was playing a guitar made in Nashville. But, the Epi sounded and played great.

There are also other companies that make LP-style guitars...some of them have great reputations. Some of the high-end boutique ones that I've played didn't impress me for the price. But, I'm probably weird. I have been impressed with the Schecters I've played, but I haven't played an LP-style Schecter.

"Les Paul".. hmm.. Gibson? or Les Paul type?

If not Gibson brand then Schecter Solo II Custom is one good choice to check.

https://www.schecterguitars.com/Solo-II-Custom?quantity=1&custitem_color_master_list=269
(there is four different body colors).

I have one Schecter Solo II Custom GNAT and that is very good guitar in every way, sounds good and quality good.
Several years ago I had Gibson LP 2012 Standard which also very good but I sold it.

That Schecter Solo II Custom is more affordable price but it's quality is more like expensive price category so it´s very good
choice and at least good to check.

Also FNG guitars have good choice https://www.thomann.de/fi/fgn_neo_classic_nls10rfm_fcb.htm

I have this one: https://www.schecterguitars.com/Solo-II-Custom?quantity=1&custitem_color_master_list=1065

View attachment 125028

If you want play from upper register (above 16-22 frets, then think about that, compare that body/neck joint, Schecter has very nice shape and easier to reach upper register.

Hope you find a nice Les Paul.
Those look great. Are they heavy?

I have been thinking about adding a Les Paul to my collection and don't really know all there is to know about the different makes of Les Pauls out there which there seems to be quite a few. I'm not looking to go super high end more of a workhorse guitar so the $800-$1500 range but I want it to be a Les Paul. I'm not into the 50's baseball bat neck carves if that helps weed out a few of the models.

Cheers!
Before someone could give an answer: what tone are you looking for? Vintage LP or a modern LP tone? New or used?
When it comes to neck profiles, 50's does not always mean baseball bat chunky. That is usually '58. A '59 style neck is much more thinner but not as thin as a 60's. I own the following and they all have about the same neck profile: Gibson Traditional, Fender American Professional ( w/deep C profile) and a PRS S2 McCarty 594.

Ok a lot of replies with some good questions for me!

I'm wanting to go after that early boston guitar sound. Let me qualify that with saying Tom gets a heavy sound (I know he uses a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge) in combination with an early 70's super lead with a bunch of EQ tricks! But he also gets a clearity in the cleans P-90 maybe with other setting changes? IDK.

I'm not quite sure if it's done with just rolling back on the volume or with a complete tonal change in the amp settings or both. Maybe someone in the know can clarify that detail. I looked at the Tom Scholz Les Paul and @7k it's not really a consideration I'm not that big a fanboy to drop that kind of cash on a guitar I might play every once in a while..

Neck carve I think a 60 slim would be where I would want to be! Both Carvin guitars I have have a pretty slim cave to them. The Gretsch is a tad fatter but not to the point where it's not bothersome. The Epi ES 335 PRO I have is wider and has broader shoulders but I can still play it and not have any issues.

As to weather or not it's a Gibson, I think it would be better that way but I'm open to other recommendations! I have looked at Epi's and Sire etc... But when I look at a Tribute for a few hundred more used it's kind of hard to not just by a U.S. made Les Paul spend a little bit and mod it to fit my needs.

I'm wanting to go after that early boston guitar sound. Let me qualify that with saying Tom gets a heavy sound (I know he uses a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge) in combination with an early 70's super lead with a bunch of EQ tricks! But he also gets a clearity in the cleans P-90 maybe with other setting changes? IDK.

I'm not quite sure if it's done with just rolling back on the volume or with a complete tonal change in the amp settings or both. Maybe someone in the know can clarify that detail. I looked at the Tom Scholz Les Paul and @7k it's not really a consideration I'm not that big a fanboy to drop that kind of cash on a guitar I might play every once in a while..

Neck carve I think a 60 slim would be where I would want to be! Both Carvin guitars I have have a pretty slim cave to them. The Gretsch is a tad fatter but not to the point where it's not bothersome. The Epi ES 335 PRO I have is wider and has broader shoulders but I can still play it and not have any issues.

As to weather or not it's a Gibson, I think it would be better that way but I'm open to other recommendations! I have looked at Epi's and Sire etc... But when I look at a Tribute for a few hundred more used it's kind of hard to not just by a U.S. made Les Paul spend a little bit and mod it to fit my needs.
An Epiphone 1960 Tribute Les Paul might be what you're looking for. Thinner neck, good pickups and a really nice playing guitar. Don't own one but played one a friend of mine has and was quite surprised at how nice it was.

If you want a Gibson with high output pups then the Studio models with the 498T would be in your price range. The Studio would have a 60s neck and the Tribute models would have a more 50s style neck. If you are willing to swap pups later, then I would go for a used Gibson Classic. It has the 60s style neck and more importantly, the pups are in the correct position for that authentic LP tone. A lot of guys don't consider or even know that the pickup position on Gibson Standard/Studio/Epiphone are all different. The Classic and more expensive models are all identical. On the Studio/Tribute both pups are the same distance apart but are slightly more toward the neck. The Epiphones have the bridge pup even more toward the neck. If the pup position does not concern you then, the Epiphone Jerry Cantrel LP Custom has a 60s style neck with a very hot bridge pup in it. I just got delivery of that model yesterday and it is very nice.

If you want a Gibson with high output pups then the Studio models with the 498T would be in your price range. The Studio would have a 60s neck and the Tribute models would have a more 50s style neck. If you are willing to swap pups later, then I would go for a used Gibson Classic. It has the 60s style neck and more importantly, the pups are in the correct position for that authentic LP tone. A lot of guys don't consider or even know that the pickup position on Gibson Standard/Studio/Epiphone are all different. The Classic and more expensive models are all identical. On the Studio/Tribute both pups are the same distance apart but are slightly more toward the neck. The Epiphones have the bridge pup even more toward the neck. If the pup position does not concern you then, the Epiphone Jerry Cantrel LP Custom has a 60s style neck with a very hot bridge pup in it. I just got delivery of that model yesterday and it is very nice.
This is interesting to know and the info I'm looking for! Are there any differences in fret wire between the models that you know of? I had a neighbor bring over a Paul years ago and it looked like it had low wide wire on it. I had never seen that before and was wondering if they had just been worn down or if that was normal.

the '59 necks feel like modern necks to me. So either a 60s or a 59 will get you away from the baseball bat feel. You mentioned about being able to dial back the volume for cleans. That's the one thing mine does not do well and I've experimented with 50s wiring schematic and modern. I even had a treble bleed put on the neck volume pot. But I think I've finally figured out WHY I'm not getting a clean tone from rolling back the volume. My neck p/u is too hot. It's a Classic and the bridge p/u is a Classic plus. It's very similar to my Warmoth build in that I've got a Thornbucker (neck) and Thornbucker plus in the bridge. I need a low output neck p/u to clean up the way I feel it should. A Duncan 59 should do it but I haven't tried it yet. But my Les Paul does sound good in all of my presets. It's chambered and light. For me, it's a one trick pony but maybe that will change once I get around to swapping out the neck p/u. I've considered buying a PRS but I figure the Les Paul is the same thing, different brand. (Take it easy on me for that last statement, you PRS loving zealots!) :p

Cheers!
Find an older les paul studio. Same type of construction as standards and customs at the time, right down to the pickups. Right in your budget as well.

This is interesting to know and the info I'm looking for! Are there any differences in fret wire between the models that you know of? I had a neighbor bring over a Paul years ago and it looked like it had low wide wire on it. I had never seen that before and was wondering if they had just been worn down or if that was normal.
As far as I know, all modern LPs have a medium jumbo size fret. Probably what you saw was an older/vintage one referred to as the "fretless wonders".

the '59 necks feel like modern necks to me. So either a 60s or a 59 will get you away from the baseball bat feel. You mentioned about being able to dial back the volume for cleans. That's the one thing mine does not do well and I've experimented with 50s wiring schematic and modern. I even had a treble bleed put on the neck volume pot. But I think I've finally figured out WHY I'm not getting a clean tone from rolling back the volume. My neck p/u is too hot. It's a Classic and the bridge p/u is a Classic plus. It's very similar to my Warmoth build in that I've got a Thornbucker (neck) and Thornbucker plus in the bridge. I need a low output neck p/u to clean up the way I feel it should. A Duncan 59 should do it but I haven't tried it yet. But my Les Paul does sound good in all of my presets. It's chambered and light. For me, it's a one trick pony but maybe that will change once I get around to swapping out the neck p/u. I've considered buying a PRS but I figure the Les Paul is the same thing, different brand. (Take it easy on me for that last statement, you PRS loving zealots!) :p
I went looking for a Les Paul years a go and couldn't find anything I liked. Had a GC sales guy put a single cut in my hands and it was all over. So I understand the whole PRS deal! They play themselves but that said they are a different animal.

Back
Top Bottom