Saw Steve Vai in concert last Thursday and................

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
The whole PA system was too loud and muddy. I went to see him in St Pete, FL. He's never been my favorite or even close....but just wanted to check it out. I like Satriani much better and here is why. Satriani has cool riffs and tones/effects and songs are more dynamic. Steve vai just seems like he just plays wank off solo's non stop and got so tired of his whammy BS and use of harmonizers and pitch crap. Each their own and he is emmensely talented....but a favorite of mine he is not.

Best part of night was his rhythm guitarist did an acoustic piece solo and it was SICK! Also a bald chick came out and sang one tune. Couldn't hear what she was singing, but her pitches and intense theatrics were AWESOME. Loved that!

Last edited:
Reactions: WBL
Hope thats not the case when I see em,he's at the capital center for the Arts in Concord NH Sept 15th. One thing I learned awhile ago( Ear Plugs).Dave Weiner ,rhythm guitarist,Beverly McClellan is the one singing, was on the Voice

good honest review, hope sounds better when I see him, Joe is amazing, definitely writes better. Steve is more theatrical, may put on a better "show". ON albums Ill take Joe. I did see JOe in person very close and loved it too, but Ill bet STeve is more "fun".

good honest review, hope sounds better when I see him, Joe is amazing, definitely writes better. Steve is more theatrical, may put on a better "show". ON albums Ill take Joe. I did see JOe in person very close and loved it too, but Ill bet STeve is more "fun".

Satriani _way_ overdoes the whammy bar live, which gets annoying after a while. And last time I went to his show, the PA was cranked so high, I had to walk out in the middle of the show. By then all I could hear was ringing in my ears. Should have sued, actually, I'm pretty sure there was some lasting hearing damage for most folks who did not have ear plugs (and most didn't).

I loved Vai's show last time I went. That particular night, he was as good on stage as he is on the record. My mind was sufficiently blown by the kinds of things he is able to pull off perfectly on the first take while also not just standing there like e.g. John Petrucci. I'm going to his show in October (IIRC).

Back
Top Bottom