S/PDIF issue. Clicks and pops in recorded audio

Ant Music

Fractal Fanatic
I have been recording using the S/PDIF outs on my Axe Fx 2 into my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (2nd gen) audio interface and I've been noticing clicks and pops in the recorded audio. At first I thought there may have been a buffer size issue in my DAW (Studio One) but no matter what settings I chose I couldn't get it to stop clicking and popping. Then I recalled that none of my mic'd up acoustic guitar recordings had this issue. So I took the unbalanced outs from the Axe Fx and ran them into the main frontal XLR inputs on the interface and no more clicking and popping on the recorded audio. I also ran the unbalanced signal into the Line inputs on the back of the interface and again no issue in the recorded audio.

So, why on earth am I having issues with the S/PDIF audio into the interface and then into the DAW? I can't understand what could possibly be the issue or how to even begin to fix the clicks and pops on the S?PDIF signal. Is this an issue with the AxeFX, the interface or the DAW or what?

Do you have the Axe II set as the master or slave for SPDIF work clock in the I/O menu? Whichever you have it set to, try the other setting.

Check to ensure u r not clipping the Focusrite's digital input. I run Axefx into a Roland Octacapture interface via S/PDIF and the Roland is easy to clip if the signal is too strong coming from Axefx - result: clicks / pops. Give the Focusrite lots of headroom (no need to approach the line) - pre-clip-check a given patch / guitar in all modes with hard strums - adjust accordingly with the amp block level control. My Roland has 6 bars on the input meter - I aim for 3 to 4 bars on average and never more
than 4-5 even on a very hard strum.

Last edited:
Check to ensure u r not clipping the Focusrite's digital input. I run Axefx into a Roland Octacapture interface via S/PDIF and the Roland is easy to clip if the signal is too strong coming from Axefx - result: clicks / pops. Give the Focusrite lots of headroom (no need to approach the line) - pre-clip-check a given patch / guitar in all modes with hard strums - adjust accordingly with the amp block level control. My Roland has 6 bars on the input meter - I aim for 3 to 4 bars on average and never more
than 4-5 even on a very hard strum.
It's definitely not clipping. But thanks.

Do you have the Axe II set as the master or slave for SPDIF work clock in the I/O menu? Whichever you have it set to, try the other setting.
I have no idea because the screen has gone on my Axe FX2 and there is no way to use the I/O menu or anything else that can only be done on the front panel. To make it worse, it seems that replacement parts aren't even available. Now that fucking sucks.

Please, have a look into this thread.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/popping-over-spdif.172188/post-2078896

In 3 or 4 posts here I explained some of the basics (and most common problems) in digital audio connections. Particularly the usual reasons of clicks, pops, noise etc. and how to cure the problem.

Probably it will solve your problem, too. 😉
Duuuuuuude you are a LEGEND!!!! Thanks so much for this. Such a simple fix. My soundcard clock was set to internal. I simply flicked it over to S/PIDF and problem gone. I wish I knew this 2 weeks ago before I started recording a new project. Fuck me.... Now I have to decide on whether or not to try to eliminate all the clicks and pops from my tracks or just re record everything.

At first I thought it was a buffer size issue and I tried all sorts of settings but no difference. But then I realised all the acoustically mic'd guitar recordings I'd made sounded fine so then I thought it must be the S/PIDF connection. Turns out to be spot on. Thanks again for your help. Life saver. I was so stressed out about it. Now I can just get back to recording and finishing these tracks.

Back
Top Bottom