RTFM - Read The FINE Manual!

Seriously? Do you mean this in the way of people getting triggered by the acronym? Not sure what the reasoning is here. No need to change it. RTFM is perfect. Inflammatory? 🤣
I don't have a problem with it when it's used appropriately -- but some overdo it. I also gave you good reason why. Some info is just too vast to read and/or unnecessary. Consulting and advising to consult is way better. And yes, it is obviously (often perceived as) inflammatory/toxic -- some can handle it better than others.

Also: you are basically always right when you claim "RTFM," as nobody can remember all they've read, which makes it not so nice to hear for someone who does make a great effort.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with it when it's used appropriately -- but some overdo it. I also gave you good reason why. Some info is just too vast to read and/or unnecessary. Consulting and advising to consult is way better. And yes, it is obviously (often perceived as) inflammatory/toxic -- some can handle it better than others.

Also: you are basically always right when you claim "RTFM," as nobody can remember all they've read, which makes it not so nice to hear for someone who does make a great effort.

I think you’re getting too hung up on the words. Consult and read used in this way mean basically the same thing. Read the manual applies whether you’re reading the entire thing or just the sections you need. RTFM isn’t new. It wasn’t invented here. Your post contained the word inflammatory which I took as someone could be triggered by it. Which would be a bad reason to change a long-standing acronym. If someone took offense, I would see it as their problem and not the forums.

I think you’re getting too hung up on the words. Consult and read used in this way mean basically the same thing. Read the manual applies whether you’re reading the entire thing or just the sections you need. RTFM isn’t new. It wasn’t invented here. Your post contained the word inflammatory which I took as someone could be triggered by it. Which would be a bad reason to change a long-standing acronym. If someone took offense, I would see it as their problem and not the forums.
We're using it openly in jest here, as a reminder to not waste other's time, but it's most often used behind the scenes in describing interactions in a pejorative fashion. @Brewce made a great point that touches upon the reality of most of us storing information in our environment. We refer to manuals, we don't necessarily read them cover to cover (getting more and more impossible with the amount of tech out there these days). Leading folks to think that everyone has read every manual cover to cover is common, but definitely not the way. I don't think it needs picking apart.

It's funny that I don't mind handing it out to someone who deserves it (although I usually try to avoid it), but when "for once" I'm suggesting a positive thing here, I'm kind of attacked for it... :sweatsmile: Me, I'm not hung up on it -- I'm saying another term would sound friendlier and more appropriate. Tell a Photoshop user to RTFM... The more a product evolves the less it becomes realistic.

To me RTFM suggests to go read the whole manual (or that I should have read the whole manual), although it doesn't literally say that.
Better is, "go read in the manual," "consult the manual," etc.

I think few of us mind RTFM when handing it out. On the receiving end I would prefer to hear something else, as whatever it originally meant, it now does have inflammatory connotations (which may be deserved or not). You might actually have read the whole manual and forgotten it is in there.

Last edited:
It's funny that I don't mind handing it out to someone who deserves it (although I usually try to avoid it), but when "for once" I'm suggesting a positive thing here, I'm kind of attacked for it... :sweatsmile: Me, I'm not hung up to it -- I'm saying another term would sound friendlier and more appropriate. Tell a Photoshop user to RTFM... The more a product evolves the less it becomes realistic.

To me RTFM suggests to go read the whole manual, although it doesn't literally say that.
Better is, "go read in the manual," "consult the manual," etc.

I think few of us mind RTFM when handing it out. On the receiving end I would prefer to hear something else, as whatever it originally meant, it now does have inflammatory connotations (which may be deserved or not).

Agree to disagree on this one. I have a low tolerance for people with no or little sense of humor. Many people don’t read the manual that’s for sure. Proved here every day. Usually they get friendly help unless they’re obnoxious. Not sure if I ever saw a post where someone was offended when suggested to read the manual here.

Not sure if I ever saw a post where someone was offended when suggested to read the manual here.
I would bet there are many, but again, I do see people who handle it well.

I also think RTFM suggests you never opened the thing, which is not nearly always true either.

I greatly prefer consulting by doing a find in a doc or folder (and I added a link for that tip higher up). You can learn in seconds how often the keyword is in the manuals and either find your solution or prevent RTFMs thrown at you.

Sometimes hearing RTFM is great, as you then learn it IS in the manual at least -- it all depends on the day and other circumstances...

To me RTFM suggests to go read the whole manual (or that I should have read the whole manual),
I've never attached this meaning to it at all (cover to cover) - rather, when someone repeatedly asks for help on a topic that is clearly covered within the manual, even after being directed toward the manual, and says things like: "I don't have time to read the manual" etc, then "RTFM" in full force tranlation is fine imo to strongly suggest reading the related section(s)

Last edited:
then "RTFM" in full force tranlation is fine imo
I agree with most uses of it, as I like to see the forum come alive... :sweatsmile:
Just saying that if I was a super nice guy through and through, I would try to avoid it (except when I'm sure it will be interpreted as hilarious).

Last edited:
I agree with most uses of it, as I like to see the forum come alive... :sweatsmile:
Just saying that if I was a super nice guy through and through, I would try to avoid it
+1 - as a nice Canadian, it would have to be a fairly extreme case to get me to use the term, but
its possible (I've seen such cases here), tho I'd likely only go as far as the acroonym, not the fully written out version.😀 - never spoken

Just saying that if I was a super nice guy through and through, I would try to avoid it
I suspect if you search you'll find very few cases of someone literally saying "RTFM" to someone here asking for help on a specific topic.

Mostly you will find it used in a derogatory fashion towards those that like to guide others to reference the manuals.

Or in the case of "I just ordered a Fractal, what do I need to do to prepare?"

This isn’t directed at anyone and just an observation. Lately I’ve been pondering all these “woke” words being used today like “trigger”. When I was growing up the only common use for the word “trigger” was either referring to Roy Roger’s horse or the part of a gun or weapon that you pull to initiate firing. The first time I heard “Trigger” being used differently was within the psycho babble world of drug and addiction rehabilitation. Back in my day we used the word or phrase “pissed off”. I think many of these woke words detach people from the emotion their meaning is meant to describe. That would be anger. While “pissed off” isn’t exactly a direct path it does much closer express the emotion. It sounds angry.

The main point is by sanitizing these vernaculars it makes it much easier for either party (the triggered and triggeree) to not step back and look at what roll they play in the situation. Especially the “Triggered”. Asking “Why am I angered and is it appropriate and what can I do that doesn’t involve violence to resolve my anger”? Many times today it is worn as a badge of honor to be triggered and the problem is whatever or whoever made them angry. I was taught or learned the hard way that understanding and controlling my anger was important and a step toward maturity that finally leads to being an adult. I also was taught or learned the hard way that letting myself be “provoked” was not something a real man allows. I could go on with words like “micro aggression”…wtf! Absolutely ridiculous. But it would probably start to trigger me.😉

BTW, “learning the hard way” means when “I” was young and immature and triggered someone (like the police or someone larger) and they didn’t need to or want to “handle their anger”! It was actually a much faster way to become mature. Well because I also wasn’t a masochist.😛

I’ve been pondering all these “woke” words being used today like “trigger”
I may have first learned of the word in that sense when learning about mind control in conspiracy lore info.

I would guess for many others this meme may play a big role...

1712539262746.png

Some people just love to exaggerate to the max to make their point and in hopes of... triggering you, then follow up with "someone needs their meds," etc., etc. Kinda happened on this very page ;)

This isn’t directed at anyone and just an observation. Lately I’ve been pondering all these “woke” words being used today like “trigger”. When I was growing up the only common use for the word “trigger” was either referring to Roy Roger’s horse or the part of a gun or weapon that you pull to initiate firing. The first time I heard “Trigger” being used differently was within the psycho babble world of drug and addiction rehabilitation. Back in my day we used the word or phrase “pissed off”. I think many of these woke words detach people from the emotion their meaning is meant to describe. That would be anger. While “pissed off” isn’t exactly a direct path it does much closer express the emotion. It sounds angry.

Hey man you failed to mention Willie Nelson’s guitar. I feel triggered 🤣

Some people just love to exaggerate to the max to make their point and in hopes of... triggering you, then follow up with "someone needs their meds," etc., etc. Kinda happened on this very page ;)
You do bring up a good point, meds play a big role in this issue. Too many brain altering chemicals given to young kids and then when they turn 18 and can choose to stop, they suddenly have no coping skills.

Thorazine was the only psyche med when I was kid. The system/schools want compliance not slobbering zombies. Hmm, now that I think about it, maybe they do.

Another thing that gets me in trouble especially on the internet is the use of hyperbole. It seems many are unable to understand or detect its meaning and purpose. I use hyperbole a lot. I do get that it’s harder to communicate in words than in person. I suppose the line between ‘the absurd’ and ‘the reasonable’ has become very blurred so the effect is easily lost.

Back
Top Bottom