Room ambience in Cab Block

Thenewexhibit

Experienced
Are a lot of you guys using this? I imagine for in ears it’s nice, but FOH will get this sound too. That’s not necessarily bad OR good.
But to ask again, are a lot of you guys using Room Ambience in the Cab Block to get an amp in room type sound, or do you prefer the reverb block for this?

I use room almost all the time.
I play mainly with headphones and reverb alone doesn't quite cut it. The room knob adds a certain something that just lifts the signal and makes it less sterile.
Got ya! Thanks for the reply! I’ll have to experiment with that! It’s not that I’m unhappy by ANY means, but I saw a video of Shawn Tubbs using the UA OX Box and he was blending in a little room, and it sounded very nice, so I was curious what most Fractal players are using. Thanks for the reply! What is it about the Reverb block on say a room setting that isn’t cutting it for that vibe?

Still curious about what others are doing as well!

“Most” are not using it.

Some use it when they want a room sound added to their signal. If they’re playing in a room that has room sound, usually it’s not used.
Got ya! Thanks for the reply! I assume that when you say “playing in a room that has room sound”, you mean any venue essentially when playing direct, as there are already reflections from that venue? I assume even if you were on ears, the little but of room sound might be nice in the ears, but not necessary for a live situation?

Might be an idea to put the room parameter in the output block to save having to add another cab block for IEMs ?

Reverb user in IEMs for this Old SoundMan. Many many years of dialing up reverb so I get EXACTLY what I want for that preset — especially when adding “room” to the sound.

I find the new FullRes(tm) IRs in parallel dialed in to taste (-18 to -6 dB for me) to really hit my AITR spot, particularly with headphones.

Probably doesn't make sense to FOH or for a backline, but maybe over studio monitors in a treated studio.

Like to use a little bit when recording, mostly room settings, default and just pretty much adjust levels.
Like @Overcaster said makes it a little less sterile.
It's one of those things just a tiny bit and don't over think it as far as settings.

Kind of reminds me early eighties had a Boss DR-220 drum machine, very good memories of that thing.
But sterile sounding, adding reverb just didn't cut it, so would set up a room mic play the drum tracks back through the monitors and record that.
A track of the drum machine and the room mic made all the difference and then send that to the reverb.

Bumping this because I decided to make a new preset of a SLO100 (friend recently got the 30, wont shut up>

I decided to pump the room level up to 50% or so, floor reflections to taste, low room diffusion and mic spacing at the default 10% (I set it to 100% on other presets before). I really like the way it sounds - note I'm using headphones 99% of the time. I went back and applied similar settings to my main presets and I like the change.

Worth exploring for those who set and forget usually!

Reverb user in IEMs for this Old SoundMan. Many many years of dialing up reverb so I get EXACTLY what I want for that preset — especially when adding “room” to the sound.
I use this reverb block to get a little roominess. The early reflections are dialed way up and the late wash dialed way back, so it gives a sense of nearby physical boundaries without muddying things up with a reverb tail....

Go into the cab block and turn up room level. See if you dig it.

Ive never really used a reverb to try and get a room tone.

Yeah, I should’ve said from a technical standpoint I’m wondering what the room level is and what it’s doing. Versus a room reverb in the reverb block. I’ve tried them both, I know what they sound like, just curious how the approaches differ.

I never touch the cab block for that. I use mostly York Audio IR’s and a sprinkle of usually hall reverb at about 12% depending on the level of gain I use. Cleaner... maybe more... heavier tones less. That’s my approach.

Back
Top Bottom