Ronroco IR - The Last of Us

DXMG503

Hi folks,

I want to offer this acoustic impules response to all of you.

It's of a handmade Ronroco (bariton Argintinian charango) built by Pablo Richter. He builds Ronrocos for many famous artists including Gustavo Santaolalla (The Last of Us) and Eric Clapton (Cream).

It has a Fishman Sys+ piezo pickup and preamp built in, but I really don't like the pickup sound, so I needed an IR to use through my FM9 to tame it. I tried using some ukulele IRs and they just didn't do it for me.

Acoustic IRs can often sound like they have a blanket over them (even with the 8khz shelf built into this one) so I recommend adding some air back to it with the Air parameter in the Cab Block, or an EQ (recommending small 10k-12k shelf).

If you're struggling with harshness I recomend tapping down the 200-400hz area. Ronroco is a low-mid heavy instrament.

Add a room reverb for a more realistic miced sound.
Sounds amazing with scoring stage-style reverb.
Try the PlexVerb in the Plex Delay block if you want some of that The Last of Us style ambience.

IR RECORDING PATH:
Ronroco > Shure SM57, close, small room (16" away at 12th fret, pointed at neck joint) > Focusrite Clarett+ pre > EQed with FabFilter ProQ3 (tapping down just a little harshness at 200hz and a 0.8db shelf at 8khz).

PICKUP DECONVOLUTION PATH (ideal input for the IR):
Fishman Sys+ piezo pickup and preamp, flat EQ (any truly awful sounding piezo pickup should work lol) > Focusrite Clarett+ DI (any DI will do).

See attached.

Attachments

• IR - Ronroco.zip
    5.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Hi folks,

I want to offer this acoustic impules response to all of you.

It's of a handmade Ronroco (bariton Argintinian charango) built by Pablo Richter. He builds Ronrocos for many famous artists including Gustavo Santaolalla (The Last of Us) and Eric Clapton (Cream).

It has a Fishman Sys+ piezo pickup and preamp built in, but I really don't like the pickup sound, so I needed an IR to use through my FM9 to tame it. I tried using some ukulele IRs and they just didn't do it for me.

Acoustic IRs can often sound like they have a blanket over them (even with the 8khz shelf built into this one) so I recommend adding some air back to it with the Air parameter in the Cab Block, or an EQ (recommending small 10k-12k shelf).

If you're struggling with harshness I recomend tapping down the 200-400hz area. Ronroco is a low-mid heavy instrament.

Add a room reverb for a more realistic miced sound.
Sounds amazing with scoring stage-style reverb.
Try the PlexVerb in the Plex Delay block if you want some of that The Last of Us style ambience.

IR RECORDING PATH:
Ronroco > Shure SM57, close, small room (16" away at 12th fret, pointed at neck joint) > Focusrite Clarett+ pre > EQed with FabFilter ProQ3 (tapping down just a little harshness at 200hz and a 0.8db shelf at 8khz).

PICKUP DECONVOLUTION PATH (ideal input for the IR):
Fishman Sys+ piezo pickup and preamp, flat EQ (any truly awful sounding piezo pickup should work lol) > Focusrite Clarett+ DI (any DI will do).

See attached.
Thanks @DXMG503 for the Ronroco IR...By chance a few weeks ago I was producing a track where I used Kontakt Ronroco's virtual instrument...maybe if I had had this input I would have got rid of having to play it on the keyboard controller as if it was a real one...I will try it and who knows maybe the recording will look better...Thanks a lot, this is not a common instrument... 👏 ;) 💪 🙏

Thanks @DXMG503 for the Ronroco IR...By chance a few weeks ago I was producing a track where I used Kontakt Ronroco's virtual instrument...maybe if I had had this input I would have got rid of having to play it on the keyboard controller as if it was a real one...I will try it and who knows maybe the recording will look better...Thanks a lot, this is not a common instrument... 👏 ;) 💪 🙏
No problem. If you need something specific, let me know and I can try and get it done (ie. a room mic or something).

I'm not really sure what I can do with what I downloaded, but I see The Last Of Us and I must have it! It's my favorite game series (with the 2nd game being the most emotionally effecting piece of art I think I've ever experienced) and the GOAT multiplayer as far as I'm concerned, haha

Now, what can I do with this? I are don't know what IRs are and how to "import?" them but I'm already excited!!

I'm not really sure what I can do with what I downloaded, but I see The Last Of Us and I must have it! It's my favorite game series (with the 2nd game being the most emotionally effecting piece of art I think I've ever experienced) and the GOAT multiplayer as far as I'm concerned, haha

Now, what can I do with this? I are don't know what IRs are and how to "import?" them but I'm already excited!!
Do you have a Fractal unit like an Axe FX, or FM9, or FM3? It's basically a filter to make your stringed instrument sound like a bit like a ronroco.

If you don't have a fractal unit, you'll have to use an pedal that can load IRs, or if you have a setup to record in your computer then you can download Cab Lab for free from fractal and use it as a plugin to load the IR over whatever it is you're playing.

Do you have a Fractal unit like an Axe FX, or FM9, or FM3? It's basically a filter to make your stringed instrument sound like a bit like a ronroco.

If you don't have a fractal unit, you'll have to use an pedal that can load IRs, or if you have a setup to record in your computer then you can download Cab Lab for free from fractal and use it as a plugin to load the IR over whatever it is you're playing.

I have an FM3. I'm not so much a fanatic of TLOU that I search random forums to profess it ;)

I I get what you're saying though. How do I get it into me though? I've imported a million things but never something that came through as a .wav Do I drag it into FM3-Edit?

I have an FM3. I'm not so much a fanatic of TLOU that I search random forums to profess it ;)

I I get what you're saying though. How do I get it into me though? I've imported a million things but never something that came through as a .wav Do I drag it into FM3-Edit?
Haha ok. Fair enough. Wasn’t sure where you were at. I wouldn’t blame you. It’s a great game.

You can use wave files the same as syx files. In the cab manager in FM3 edit, somewhere in the left side menues there should be an option to import cabs and you can pick wave files through there and it will auto-convert it. You could also load it into Cab Lab and export it as syx.

Back
Top Bottom