Rocktron MIDI Xchange

srooijens

Inspired
Because there's still no news on the arrival of the MFC101 (and not even a prototype behind glass yet at the recent amp show) I decided to get something simple to tie me over until it actually arrives. I just need to change patches every now and then, I don't need advanced control for the moment but I do need 2 expression pedals.
I prefer something very compact, otherwise I could have gone for an FCB1010 but I decided against it to get something small enough to fit into a 2u rack drawer together with 2 my EB6166 pedals and still have some space left over for spare strings, picks etc.

I found the Rocktron MIDI Xchange which seems to fit the bill.
Roland GFC50 seems nice and compact too but I like the phantom power capability of the Rocktron and chose that over the larger amount of buttons. Other controllers I've looked at either don't have 2 expression pedal connections or are too big and/or expensive.

Does anyone here have any experience with it, or other suggestions for small MIDI controllers?

I'm not looking for larger controllers, I want something small but with a minimum of 2 expression pedal connections.
For more advanced control I'm planning to add the FAS controller when it's available, just being able to send PC's is okay for now (except the requirement for 2 pedals.)

S.R.

There is a MIDI Mate on ebay for the same price as an Xchange $114. That would be a better way to go. Even a new midimate isn't much more than the Xchange.
The 2 buttons on the Xchange is very limiting. Useless you only use 2 preset then your all set.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

The little giant, besides the fact that it doesn't fit the drawer, is not the product I'm looking for at the moment.
If Fractal's controller doesn't turn out to be what I expect it might be an option at that time (but I'm expecting to like Cliff's controller more for my purposes based on the information currently around.)

The MIDI Mate unfortunately only supports one expression pedal.
I need the second expression pedal a lot more than the extra buttons, even though I do realise this is a limitation.
I use both pedals a lot and together with the guitar volume control they give me a lot of options within a single preset.

I quite like the Axess MFC5 too but it lacks the pedal ports.
If it had those it would have been perfect.

Live I use 5 or 6 presets and they are arranged to be the first presets in bank A.
For most songs I stay on the same preset so I think I can deal with the button limitations for now.

I do realise using the up and down buttons and then the select is not as easy as being able to select patches immediately and requires a little thinking ahead as deciding to switch at the last moment can be a bit messy.

the Xchange to me still seems like the best compromise at the moment but I do appreciate you pointing out the limitations and other options.

Anything else compact out there with the capabilities for 2 pedals?

S.R.

Back
Top Bottom