RIP James Earl Jones

I remember my parents and I sitting at the dinner table, they would discuss the people that grew up watching pass along. I often wondered what it would be/feel like when I get to that stage in life... Here I am.........

Thank you, Mr. Jones for what you gave us. Rest easy, you have influenced generations and will be missed.

IMO, the greatest voice ever in the thespian world (that I have personally heard)! RIP Legend!!

Here is some fun data from an article I just read:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
When director George Lucas was searching for a bass voice for Darth Vader as he was casting Star Wars (1977), he reportedly considered Orson Welles but felt his voice might be too recognizable. So he called Jones’ agent and asked if the actor would like a day’s work.

Jones got a flat fee of $7,000 for the job and did not acknowledge that he was the voice of Darth Vader until the third film in the franchise.

Once, while traveling cross-country, Jones broke out his Darth Vader voice on the CB radio scanner. “The truck drivers would really freak out — for them, it was Darth Vader. I had to stop doing that,” he told The New York Times magazine.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Last edited:
I remember the very first Star Wars movie and hearing his voice as Darth Vader and thinking how perfectly they cast him. From that point on I think I had a boy-crush on him just because of his voice. Hearing or seeing him in a part from that point on has always thrilled me.

I hate when my pillars pass. :-(

I remember the very first Star Wars movie and hearing his voice as Darth Vader and thinking how perfectly they cast him. From that point on I think I had a boy-crush on him just because of his voice. Hearing or seeing him in a part from that point on has always thrilled me.
'Jones, who died on Monday, Sept. 9 at 93, voiced Darth Vader in the original Star Wars film, playing a major role in making the Dark Lord of the Sith one of Hollywood’s most infamous villains. But his contribution to the part didn’t come until after the cameras finished rolling, when writer/director George Lucas realized the voice of the late David Prowse, who wore the costume on set, wasn’t exactly what he was looking for.

“George wanted, pardon the expression, a dark voice. So he hires a guy born in Mississippi, raised in Michigan, who stutters. And that’s the voice. That’s me,” Jones said in an interview for the American Film Institute in 2009. “I lucked out, from all these so-called handicaps, for a job that paid $7,000! And I thought that was good money. And I got to be a voice on a movie.”'

https://people.com/james-earl-jones-made-just-7k-as-darth-vader-in-first-star-wars-8709271

They had a loop of this scene playing at the Baseball Hall Of Fame when I was there.
I love that movie and that scene, among others, like the one with Moonlight Graham.

I always had a dream of playing professional baseball. I was told by my friend’s dad, who played in a mining league, back in the 50’s and was drafted by the Pirates, that I had natural talent/skills to play. I grew up in northern Canada, in the 70’s, so there wasn’t a lot of opportunity to play baseball and get exposure. It was all about hockey up there. So every time I watch the movie, I have empathy for Moonlight Graham, except I became a teacher instead of a doctor. Don’t regret it, because it was a long and rewarding career, but I always wonder what would have happened if I had the guts and means to pursue baseball.

I’ve seen the movie dozens of times and I have yet to get through the ‘Dad, wanna have a catch?’ part without shedding a tear! My dad was an ambulance attendant, in the early 70's and the station was only a block or so from my house. I would bike to his work to bring him dinner and of course, I would bring my ball and glove so my dad and I could ‘have a catch’. Never had a son, but taught my daughter to catch, throw and swing a bat! 🙂

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom