Rig Routing Ideas?

Hey guys. Been posting alot, and I REALLY want to thank everyone for all the help. Being such a noob, I've learned a TON, especially thanks to Ron for taking the time out of his life to help us noobs!

I just wanted to get some ideas from you guys, and to see if I am going about things the right way. At the heart of my rig is an RG-16. My Rig is fairly simple. my "dry" amp, is my VHT Ultralead. My "wet" amp, is my Diezel herbert, or that is the plan anyways. For those unfamiliar, the herbert has 3 loops, 1 serial, 1 parallel, and 1 switchable (aka, the serial/parallel are always "on" while the switchable, is midi switchable on and off) I use an ISP rackmount noisegate, each amp gets one channel. So the Ultralead is set on series loop gets one channel, and the herberts serial loop gets the other channel of the noise gate. I am kind of up in the air on effects processors at this time (axe fx standard, g major 2, g force etc) however, Only the herbert will have the effects. This is where my first question comes in:

Is there really any reason for me to run the effects processor into the RG-16? My logic is, The herbert is already midi capable, and its effects loop design is pretty ingenious I think. The plan was to put whatever effects processor I decide on in the parallel loop, on at all times. If I want just a "dry" herbert tone (my rhythm tone is both amps running together, both dry) I would set a midi patch with the effects processor dry. Does this make sense? Instead of cluttering up my RG-16 with the effects processor, there's really no need I think. Also, running in a parallel loop works best I think because the only real effects I use are delays, alittle reverb, etc, effects that "supposively" sound best in a parallel loop. Again, the only times I really use effects is with clean tones, and leads. Both of my bands are pretty much straight up metal, not much clean really :D.

The only pedal I run is a maxon OD808 in Loop 1, boosting both amps pretty much at all times, that is it. My Rig will be completely controlled with a Ground Control Pro.

Also in my rack is a line g 90 Wireless. Am I right in thinking that That the Line 6 wireless's out plugs into the back of the the Rg-16s input correct? I assume the g90 already has a high quality buffer, so there would be no need to use the RG-16s, or is that wrong?

So in summary: 2 amps, one wet, effects processor in my "wet" amp, not in the RG-16. Basically the 2 amp 4 pedals diagram on the RJM website, minus the effects processor in the RG-16. Does this sound alright? I am about to start making cables using the planet waves cable station, and I would really hate to start doing all of this, only to find out what I am doing won't work. Thanks again guys, Sorry for the lengthy post!

Alan

Last edited:
Ya lots of good help here with no typical Internet sarcasm...real help and suggestions.
For your wet amp with parallel loop you will not have a fully wet amp as that will have its own dry ratio. I have a gforce that I ran into 2chnl recto with mod loop to serial. The unit rocks to this day but patch switching has a lag be cautious on setting up...but can use pc and cc commands to switch effects on off. I just bought an ultra and it's great. My racks are now way simplified...now I'm open to lots of new options 4cm...just fx...pre amps. But more importantly use more just ultra...so that's my vote for an axe fx.

Back
Top Bottom