RiF - Eisenorgel

RiF

Inspired
"Eisenorgel" is an artifical German word I invented as a work title for this song. Eisen=Iron, Orgel=organ. This short metallish song (1:30) has triple tracked guitars + lead, a bass and a Hammond organ (hence the name "Eisenorgel"). All guitars including the bass are recorded direct using my Axe-Fx Standard. All patches including the bass are heavily based on settings and/or patches posted by D20! The lead uses the very same patch as all the rhythm guitars (I upped the input of my AxeFx a bit IIRC). Thanx to D20 I now have my most inspiring 5150-based heavy patch ever!
All comments (mix, tone, Hammond rants, ... ) are welcome!
Patch will follow when I hooked up my Axe-Fx to my new Core i5-based DAW-computer...

EDIT: And here's the link to the clip ;-). I'm getting old...

Violence_1.gif

That was crazy good!!!!

RiF it sounds awesome my friend!!!

Very AILD-ish! Awesome to hear what you've done with the patch too!

MO, D20, thanx for the nice comments.
The recording has been made with 8.05 and I just upgraded my firmware and everything sounds way better. The poweramp-saturation sounds more "real" and organic now.

For those who are interested, the patch is attached to this post.

EDIT: On firmware 9.0, I would switch off the drive block (or lower the MIX value to 30-50%) and give the amp some more drive.

Attachments

• RiF D20 5150.zip
    409 bytes · Views: 40
sounds HUGE and heavy,man! \m/,

P.S. i still haven't got a chance to mess w/ your riffs u sent me dude. :oops:
busy at work as usual.

unscarred said:
sounds HUGE and heavy,man! \m/,

P.S. i still haven't got a chance to mess w/ your riffs u sent me dude. :oops:
busy at work as usual.
Thanx unscarred!
Don't put yourself under stress because of those riffs. If you come up with something and find the time to record it, great! If not, just leave it. :)

Like the riff and the production in general. However, guitars and Hammond is not an easy thing to combine as both use a crapload of frequency space. I'm not exactly sure what's going on with your organ as it's kinda lost in your mix. My band has the same problem with two guitars and a Farfisa.

By the way, do you do some basic mastering before you post here?

Deltones said:
Like the riff and the production in general. However, guitars and Hammond is not an easy thing to combine as both use a crapload of frequency space. I'm not exactly sure what's going on with your organ as it's kinda lost in your mix. My band has the same problem with two guitars and a Farfisa.
Thanx for your very constructive feedback, Deltones! Yes, your absolutely right about the guitars and the Hammond. My approach has been to care about the Hammond as if it would be another guitar, so I didn't go for separation and more for a blending of both. So there are the main 2 guitars (doubled), and then one single 3rd guitar (chugga chugga panned at about 10:00) and the Hammond panned right. Frequency-wise I just cut out all unnecessary low-end from the organ. It would be easier with just 1 guitar and an organ (see Deep Purple, Rainbow etc.) but then it wouldn't be metal anymore ;-). So I "sacrificed" the organ's own frequency space for the sake of a nice wall of guitars. But I could check if I can automate the organ in and out of the mix a bit better, so it doesn't get as lost.
Deltones said:
By the way, do you do some basic mastering before you post here?
Yes, I usually do a "quick home-brew" mastering before I post any clips. You know, louder sounds always better.
I almost always mix into a buss compressor on my 2bus (this is not mastering, though). I am not quite settled on the plugin, but I find myself using the yellow T-Racks compressor using the most because of it's crunchy sound if it's driven a bit harder. For "mastering" I then use the UAD Precision Limiter in multiband-limiter mode. I drive that one a bit as well (like 1.5 dB) but don't use much of the shaping-stuff. Then I use the T-Racks Brickwall Limiter in Clean-mode and watch the gain reduction to be no more than about 3 dB (OK, maybe 4...).

Back
Top Bottom