Rick Beato Interviewing Steve Lukather.

sprint

Axe-Master
Love Lukather interviews - always a chuckle watching interviewers trying to control the direction of conversations with him lol!. I was thrilled to hear Steve reference early Gino Vannelli records which I love but always felt somewhat alone in my affection for. Steve is such a great artist and personality - check out his improv'd lead to Rick's song pick at the end. Great!

Just watched it straight through. A very cool interview. So much cool inside stuff and Steve is great at putting it into perspective.

I've been watching the Beato/Lukather interview in pieces as time allows. I find it interesting to see the contrast between Luke and Neil Schon. (I follow Neil on Facebook.) Both are great players. Steve is passionate, chill, and articulate. Neil is a semi-literate drama queen.

Love Lukather interviews - always a chuckle watching interviewers trying to control the direction of conversations with him lol!. I was thrilled to hear Steve reference early Gino Vannelli records which I love but always felt somewhat alone in my affection for. Steve is such a great artist and personality - check out his improv'd lead to Rick's song pick at the end. Great!

I heard of Gino Vannelli through a Beato video and that is some great music with fantastic guitar playing. Might have to have another go at the tunes

I heard of Gino Vannelli through a Beato video and that is some great music with fantastic guitar playing.
The Brother to Brother album was the big break-thru afair (at least up here in Canada (GV is initially from Montreal)), featuring Carlos Rios + often cited by guitar players, but there's lots of goodies after and before also. Listening to GV stuff, I can hear why it resonates with SL, specially the 80s stuff.

Last edited:

Yeah just watched this. I could listen to Steve all day. What a cool dude.

Not a beato fan at all, but i watched it. Pretty good but as far as recent luke interviews go i highly recommend his sunset sound one that just came out not too long ago.

Just finished watching, I honesty could listen to Steve speak all day and just tell his stories, He is funny as hell and has no filter for the most part.
What really hit me was his take on music at around 1:14:00 because it is so spot on, at least for me but I'm old LOL, I love music and not that the thrill of listening to new music is gone because there is stuff that comes out that is great but I remember absolutely getting lost in full albums when I was in my teens and 20's and that rarely happens anymore, everything is done for that one 3:30sec song that everyone hopes is a hit and if its not oh well see ya later. Music is disposable in this day and age, there really is nothing with any lasting impact anymore and that just sucks.

Jay's work on those early Gino records is - IMO - some of his best. I remember first seeing Gino on the "Pauper In Paradise" tour when I was 16. The girl I went with had a father who owned a Cadillac dealership and got us front row seats. I was sitting there with scraggly, long hair in jeans and t-shirt surrounded by "grown-ups" dressed to the nines. We got a lot of stares but man that was a great show and the band was just bad-ass although I was disappointed he was not touring with a guitarist.

I saw him again on the "Brother To Brother" tour but with much worse seats. He was touring a bigger band but they were not nearly as badass. He also carried a guitar player but not, of course, Jay Graydon.

I worshipped Luke through the eighties. However, I do remember seeing clips from the tour he was talking about with Jeff Beck and Santana during which a visibly, coked out Luke played a bunch of gibberish with far more effects than soul. Jeff Beck then comes out and is, well, just Jeff Beck.

We tend to think that artists as well known as Steve must be beyond rich, but interesting to hear Steve talking about famous parts he played that didn't cash in for him in terms of royalties (just the check for the session). He mentions he gets 1k$ per month from the union - I guess that's why a lot of these guys are still out there working - probably still making big money for live shows etc, but not necessarily the fall back of a vested long career pension that other careers can offer.

We tend to think that artists as well known as Steve must be beyond rich, but interesting to hear Steve talking about famous parts he played that didn't cash in for him in terms of royalties (just the check for the session). He mentions he gets 1k$ per month from the union - I guess that's why a lot of these guys are still out there working - probably still making big money for live shows etc, but not necessarily the fall back of a vested long career pension that other careers can offer.
I'm pretty sure Luke was only referring to his union pension which is likely an invested, shared pot (like most pension funds). And I'm sure, for him, that 1K is pocket change. I think he was drawing attention for the guys who don't have royalty checks from songwriting credits on a dozen or more hit songs and, well, TOTO. Luke's songwriting discography is deep and is second only to his playing discography.

Just finished watching, I honesty could listen to Steve speak all day and just tell his stories, He is funny as hell and has no filter for the most part.
What really hit me was his take on music at around 1:14:00 because it is so spot on, at least for me but I'm old LOL, I love music and not that the thrill of listening to new music is gone because there is stuff that comes out that is great but I remember absolutely getting lost in full albums when I was in my teens and 20's and that rarely happens anymore, everything is done for that one 3:30sec song that everyone hopes is a hit and if its not oh well see ya later. Music is disposable in this day and age, there really is nothing with any lasting impact anymore and that just sucks.
Totally understand what you’re saying. I remember putting on albums and listening to the whole thing beginning to end and getting lost in the album art or the credits and any commentary. It was such a great time that I just can’t or don’t do anymore. Maybe part of the problem is me, but there was something about the whole ritual of pulling out vinyl and holding it with two hands on the edges and flipping it around to get the correct side, then carefully placing it on the turntable and lowering the stylus and slowly turning up the volume. There’s something missing today.

Totally understand what you’re saying. I remember putting on albums and listening to the whole thing beginning to end and getting lost in the album art or the credits and any commentary. It was such a great time that I just can’t or don’t do anymore. Maybe part of the problem is me, but there was something about the whole ritual of pulling out vinyl and holding it with two hands on the edges and flipping it around to get the correct side, then carefully placing it on the turntable and lowering the stylus and slowly turning up the volume. There’s something missing today.
Indeed - there was a kind of relaxing therapy in the ritual of it, though I don't miss having to put a carefully calibrated stack of quarters on the tone arm to keep it balanced (apologies to vinyl audiophiles here - I never got past owning the Radio Shack "good" system back in the day...

Last edited:
It's the whole iTunes, Spotify world we live in now. There is really no effort put into making a great front to back album anymore, its all about the one song that will make $ and everything else for the most part is just mediocre filler if they even do a full album.

I sometimes think that yea I'm the problem also, that all of a sudden I got old and I'm the guy yelling at kids to get off my lawn lol, but I also think that's why I don't find myself listening to much new stuff anymore and I focus on the older music I grew up with and the handful of artist that are still putting out new music that I will listen to.

Indeed - there was a kind of relaxing therapy in the ritual of it, though I don't miss having to put a carefully calibrated stack of quarters on the tone arm to keep it balanced (apologies to vinyl audiophiles here - I never got past owning the Radio Shack "good" system back in the day...

View attachment 114720
LOL, yes I never got much past consumer level myself. I had just an ok Technics turntable and at one point as I was a bit older a Yamaha receiver and Pioneer speakers. Which were still their affordable line. Had a brother in law that had a super setup.

Oh and love the Radio Shack advert.😃

Back
Top Bottom