Replacing CLR's - MF.10 PRO/M or EV PXM-12MP or....

MisterE

Fractal Fanatic
I've already posted a bit of my first impressions here: Red Sound FRFR Speakers
I'm currently using Equator D8's at home and I really like the tones on those.
When playing through my CLR's, the same tones a are a little more "boxy" for lack of a better word.
Not as crisp if you know what I mean.
Same with the MF.10 PRO/M
This one's definitely a tad darker than the CLR's and a lot more than the D8's.
I tried different positions and what worked best was having it practically at rear's height when sitting down and not in front off or close to a wall.

I remember from @ZenRigs Man post that EQ-ing is very important.
So I looped a guitar part and kept switching between the D8's and the Redsound.
This is what I came up with:

1720957942003.png

I measured 105dB at about 2m70 (9ft) with my Phonic PAAZ, At that point clipping light barely started blinking.
To bad it doesn't say in the manual if it can't blink or just blink and not stay on.
Maybe @Diego or @Marco Fanton can chime in.

At around 95dB, the Redsound does fuller than the D8's.
Like the D8's are the hi-fi version and the MF.10 is the amp in the room.
Also, the D8's are in Stereo so I wonder what 2 MF.10's would sound like.
As I mentioned in my previous post, even when using mono presets, dual mono chorus does sound very nice.

So, what to do?
The EV PXM-12MP was also a contender.
This has the advantage that it can also be used as a monitor - for which I use and like the CLR's the most.
I only have 30 days to decide.
I'm having doubts whether to get the EV to compare or to get a second MF.10 and, when the CLR's die, replace those with maybe the EV's.

Attachments

• 1720948075806.png
    1720948075806.png
    43.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I know, I read through all the reports of both speakers.
I even tried a Dynacord - the predecessor of the EV and I found it to be very similar tot the CLR.

I'm a fan of the EV. But, I have a pair of Elis.8s, and they're excellent. I would love to have a pair of the MF.10- Pro/M.

EV's and Yamaha's seem to be quite similar.
I like the placement of the controls on the EV's better and they do offer a 5 year manufacturer warranty.
The EV's have a 1,75" FH driver, the Yamaha's a 1"

Last edited:
Today I played with an Equator D8 on one side and the MF.10 PRO/M on the other side.
Although ther's a difference in sound - D8's are crisper, clearer - the MF.10 fuller, more body - this proved that 2 is better than 1.
So, replacing the CLR's is on hold.
Meanwhile I ordered a second MF.10 PRO/M
I'll use the Redsounds at home to make/tweak my presets and check how these will translate to my CLr's.

EV's and Yamaha's seem to be quite similar.
I like the placement of the controls on the EV's better and they do offer a 5 year manufacturer warranty.
The EV's have a 1,75" FH driver, the Yamaha's a 1"
From what I remember, DHRs are heavier, and larger and don't have programmable DSP... Depending on your use case some or none of those may matter. The DHR are less expensive.

Also, a paper comparison only :)

From what I remember, DHRs are heavier, and larger and don't have programmable DSP... Depending on your use case some or none of those may matter. The DHR are less expensive.

Also, a paper comparison only :)
Correct. They are a little heavier, a little larger and don't have extra things like programmable DSP or a mic preamp. However I didn't want any of that stuff anyway. I tried one side by side with the EV and they sounded about the same . I am so happy with how my guitar sounds coming through it that I bought four of them. They look super cool when stacked on their sides, by the way.

Back
Top Bottom