Replacing a JB

MisterE

Fractal Fanatic
As of lately, a certain frequency has been annoying me.
I tried different amp settings, IR's.... to no avail.
So I'm thinking about swapping my JB for something else.
I like the bite; bottom and attack but it's a certain quack that disturbs me. Especially when playing the higher strings (B and E)
So....I'm looking at these:
SD TB-11 Custom Custom
SD TB-16 59/Custom Hybrid
SD Jason Becker Perpetual Burn

I'm currently not looking at anything else like Bare Knuckles since I find these way too expensive here in Europe since the idiot Brits chose to leave the European union.

As of lately, a certain frequency has been annoying me.
I tried different amp settings, IR's.... to no avail.
So I'm thinking about swapping my JB for something else.
I like the bite; bottom and attack but it's a certain quack that disturbs me. Especially when playing the higher strings (B and E)
So....I'm looking at these:
SD TB-11 Custom Custom
SD TB-16 59/Custom Hybrid
SD Jason Becker Perpetual Burn

I'm currently not looking at anything else like Bare Knuckles since I find these way too expensive here in Europe since the idiot Brits chose to leave the European union.

What about just swapping magnets? Putting a ceramic 8 magnet in a JB was my go-to for many years. Basically turns it into a Duncan Distortion but less extreme sounding, not to mention tighter lows and more authoritative mids. Would be the cheapest and quickest option to start with.

I have the Custom/Hybrid in my MIM Fender Stratocaster, it's a pretty good pickup for 80's style metal.

Two other good bridge SDs I had are the Pegasos and Full Shred.

I have guitars with Wolfgangs and Custom Customs. I prefer the Wolfgangs for high gain, but the Custom Customs are more jack of all trades.

I replaced JBs in 3 of my Les Pauls with the Custom Custom. I really like the change, less nasal and fuller sounding. Sweeter highs with an Alnico II as well, imo.

I played JB for 20 years and like you I had enough of some frequencies.

I tried the Dimarzio AT1 and it was too bassy and dark for my guitar.

I then swapped for a Dimarzio Paf36 and it’s just perfect. Best choice possible for me.

sure it has less gain, by the tone is really punchy and a lot of clarity. And I can now use the bridge pickup for some cleans.

I think nowadays with modelers you don’t have to worry about the output of a pickup. Only the tone character matters. For gain there’s « input gain ».

Back
Top Bottom