Redsound MF10 & Laney LFR 2x12 comparison Video

The Redsound has more clarity but the Laney has better bottom end but is a tad dark. Not surprising considering the differences in cab size and speakers. I really like the traditional look of the Laney! but the top end clarity of the Redsound is pretty evident.

How did you record the cabs?

The Redsound has more clarity but the Laney has better bottom end but is a tad dark. Not surprising considering the differences in cab size and speakers. I really like the traditional look of the Laney! but the top end clarity of the Redsound is pretty evident.

How did you record the cabs?
Hi, I recorded them with a stereo pattern mic setup one meter away, to be fair I think the Redsound cabs should have been miced with them both side by side.

I will be repeating this test but with tweaks to each speaker setup. Just to see how they respond.

Hi, where was the Hi Freq volume control set on the Laneys? Did you move the mic to center up in front of each speaker set? I think they sound great. I think the Laneys sound more 'cabinet natural', if you will. That's good considering I have 2 of them coming in the next couple weeks. I've been waiting 5 weeks, so I'm beyond itchin' to rock through them. Thanks for posting this work!

Listening to my Macbook speakers the Laney is clearer and less dark.
First impression suggest the MF10s have more pronounced mids and the LFR2x12s has more bass and sizzle.
Hi, where was the Hi Freq volume control set on the Laneys? Did you move the mic to center up in front of each speaker set? I think they sound great. I think the Laneys sound more 'cabinet natural', if you will. That's good considering I have 2 of them coming in the next couple weeks. I've been waiting 5 weeks, so I'm beyond itchin' to rock through them. Thanks for posting this work!
Hi Shep, I used two stereo paired room mics set one metre away from the cabs in a central position to each set of speakers to pick up the room sound from each.

The hi freq was set at noon.

First impression suggest the MF10s have more pronounced mids and the LFR2x12s has more bass and sizzle.

Hi Shep, I used two stereo paired room mics set one metre away from the cabs in a central position to each set of speakers to pick up the room sound from each.

The hi freq was set at noon.
Much appreciated. I thought perhaps it was one mic when you used the singular in the description. It sounds like the hi freq control willl be usable in both directions dependent on the room. That's a good thing.

Last edited:
To me, an FRFR room mic comparison isn't useful, but your perceptions are.
For a more apples-to-apples approach, you should compare the new RedSound 12" FRFRs and the Laney 1x12 FRFR when you can.

Most manufacturers do not provide the frequency response curves of their speakers, which is regrettable. Certainly these curves do not tell everything about the speaker but it would be a very useful point of comparison.....

To me, an FRFR room mic comparison isn't useful, but your perceptions are.
For a more apples-to-apples approach, you should compare the new RedSound 12" FRFRs and the Laney 1x12 FRFR when you can.
Yes I know what you mean, this was really just to demonstrate what they sound like, the recording is accurate enough that you can hear the characteristics of each set of speakers, which some have mentioned in their comments.
I like both sets of speakers, I use the redsounds for small venues and the laneys for big stages. Both sound great but definitely have their own character.

Back
Top Bottom