Wish Redsound Elis 8 Cab IR captures

Shepdoggiest

Inspired
I finally found the huge 4x12 Marshall sound at LOUD volumes in my room through stereo Elis 8s. I want to capture that sound to my cabs library for direct recording use so I don't hafta try to mic a very loud amp in a 11x11 room to record into the DAW. I know if I tried by my own understanding I wouldn't get it in a hundred attempts. How do I do this with a hopefully good degree of accuracy? Of course I hope they will be captured (maybe as Dyna-cabs) because Fractal sells them online? Thanks much!

Last edited:
"I finally found the huge 4x12 Marshall sound at LOUD volumes in my room through stereo Elis 8s"

My brain hurts trying to understand what in the world this means but I do have this

I farted so LOUD it sounded like I shat myself, oh wait I did shart myself...

I don't see what's hard to understand about this sentence - "I want to capture that sound to my cabs library for direct recording use so I don't hafta try to mic a very loud amp in a 11x11 room to record into the DAW."

I like the sound of the amp and Dyna Cab when played loud through the E8s. How do I make an IR that will deliver that pushed tonality in the DAW? That's the best I can describe it.

It makes no sense because you're talking about capturing the sound of an FRFR speaker that's supposed to cleanly amplify the sound of your direct signal.

Your direct signal is already the sound.

Playing it back through other sound reproduction systems, like studio monitors, FOH, headphones, etc is always going to be colored to a degree by the specific speakers.

We are imagining the absolutely dreadful experience of playing LOUD through an FRFR with no cabinet emulation of any kind, that is one of the most unpleasant experiences on my ears that I could possibly imagine. To LIKE what that sounds like I am imagining someone who is so deaf they cant hear a gun going off 10 meters away.

To sound like a Marshall 4x12 even remotely, you would have to have to be already using an 4x12 IR or SOME kind of IR.

As Unix said. Your sound is already there to be recorded.

Your Axe FX USB goes to your computer, you record it. There is no mic involved. The Axe FX is a digital device with USB and recording capability.

The only thing I could think of was the Elis FRFR must have their own cabinet simulation, like an analog one maybe, but that doesn't seem to be the case either so...

You do not mic FRFR cabinets, they are flat monitors designed to reproduce sound going into it. Not the other way around like you seem to suggest.

I also thought about what Unix was saying, how playing your sound back through a different monitor is ALWAYS going to sound different.

If this is your goal, to match the sound you get while playing loud through the Elis, with perhaps a set of regular studio monitors. As Unix states, FRFR systems are all different, the db at which you are getting to with the Elis, compared to what you will get with a 5 inch set of monitors should be louder as well which is effecting your experience substantially.

I hope this clears it up.

I think I know what he is asking now.

He wants to know how does he save a Dynacab sound that he crafted that sounds like the 4x12 sound in his head, in his Axe as an IR that he can use in his DAW.

So you either have to use cab lab, save that, whether it is one cab you are using or multiple Dynacabs and use it there on cab lab, if you are asking how to convert it from syx to wav or to save the IR as a single IR you could save into your Axe and computer. Try this.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/only-two-cab-slots-no-problem.180466/

Someone can explain it better than me. Basically the short answer is cab lab.

(OP I believe was confused by this process as you are effectively taking another IR, an IR of an IR. It sounds like he was thinking he needs to take the IR with another mic and mic his FRFR system)

Last edited:
I think I know what he is asking now.

He wants to know how does he save a Dynacab sound that he crafted that sounds like the 4x12 sound in his head, in his Axe as an IR that he can use in his DAW.

So you either have to use cab lab, save that, whether it is one cab you are using or multiple Dynacabs and use it there on cab lab, if you are asking how to convert it from syx to wav or to save the IR as a single IR you could save into your Axe and computer. Try this.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/only-two-cab-slots-no-problem.180466/

Someone can explain it better than me. Basically the short answer is cab lab.

(OP I believe was confused by this process as you are effectively taking another IR, an IR of an IR. It sounds like he was thinking he needs to take the IR with another mic and mic his FRFR system)
Read the last sentence of the OP - I don't think that's it...

Read the last sentence of the OP - I don't think that's it...
Making my brain hurt unix.

I know what you're thinking, you're thinking since its a Dynacab already why would we need that captured as a Dynacab pack, I think he is just confused on Dynacabs vs regular IRs in some way.

Like he doesn't fully understand a Dynacab pack is all Dynacabs and not captures of Dynacabs into one regular IR. You know like he is imagining a pack of IRs for Dynacab that are all specific spots dialed in. Like when we share our presets. Sort of like selling presets but in this case, it would be Dynacab presets.

You see how he said "I want to capture that sound to my cabs library" I think he meant regular IR library, not Dynacab.

Making my brain hurt unix.

I know what you're thinking, you're thinking since its a Dynacab already why would we need that captured as a Dynacab pack, I think he is just confused on Dynacabs vs regular IRs in some way.

Like he doesn't fully understand a Dynacab pack is all Dynacabs and not captures of Dynacabs into one regular IR. You know like he is imagining a pack of IRs for Dynacab that are all specific spots dialed in. Like when we share our presets. Sort of like selling presets but in this case, it would be Dynacab presets.

You see how he said "I want to capture that sound to my cabs library" I think he meant regular IR library, not Dynacab.
He’s asking how to capture the sound of the Marshall ir playing through his Eli’s 8’s. That makes no sense. You record the Marshall iir into the daw. He wants the sound of the Marshall ir playing through the Elis 8s is its own ir. Yes it can be done, does it make sense-no, should you do it-probably not, will it sound good- most likely not.

He’s asking how to capture the sound of the Marshall ir playing through his Eli’s 8’s. That makes no sense. You record the Marshall iir into the daw. He wants the sound of the Marshall ir playing through the Elis 8s is its own ir. Yes it can be done, does it make sense-no, should you do it-probably not, will it sound good- most likely not.
I guess I prefer to err on the side of someone not being that... illogical. It just cant be that. We will see.

I did mention that and try to explain how that works if he doesn't understand.

I have one friend who seems to really like how my guitar sounds when he hears it through my 12 inch FRFR setup, this is through phone recordings mind you, but he thinks it sounds better than most clips that are real direct recordings of the Axe instead of phone recordings of me playing through my FRFR. So I was def thinking something like does this guy like the FRFR experience and sound better and think he is going to match the sound of the FRFR with like I was saying, studio monitors, and obviously that is just not going to happen. For many reasons.

For everything that was ever correctly deemed illogical and guaranteed not to work there is the converse side where that thinking was proven wrong. The nature of discovery. Sorry to have bothered anyone. Feel free to delete the post.

so you want to somehow mic an frfr, which is playing something through the ir of a mic'ed cab, and make an ir of that?
Yes. E8's become a totally different thing at volume. It's very much how I'd like my tone to be in the DAW, which is nothing resembling it direct from the iii. I would replace the current IR, or perhaps blend it if it was an improvement to do so.

He wants to capture the sound of a 4x12 Marshall IR run through an FRFR. It isn't that outlandish of a request, since FRFR's usually aren't truly "flat response" anyways. Especially the Elis 8's, which are very midrange forward and are designed to reproduce the feeling of playing through a traditional cab. Some may prefer this exact sound/set up over a preamp (Axe FX) into a power amp/cabinet or a direct Axe FX sound.

Why? Probably so he can record with the exact sound he hears when playing through it. The sound coming direct from the Axe FX with an IR will naturally sound different.

In any event, I've seen Marco mic up his Redsound speakers for people to hear their frequency response as a monitor for the Axe FX. It may be something he does regularly to get that controlled feedback.

I try to think of it similar to when people "profile" or model a modeler, because the modeler is typically based on a real amp. So it becomes a copy of a copy of a copy. Some may prefer that to the original. It may sound crazy to some, but it really isn't. In studios engineers are often splitting signals through multiple amps and cabinets, maybe not in series, but there is no reason to say you can't create an IR of an FRFR speaker.

He wants to capture the sound of a 4x12 Marshall IR run through an FRFR. It isn't that outlandish of a request, since FRFR's usually aren't truly "flat response" anyways. Especially the Elis 8's, which are very midrange forward and are designed to reproduce the feeling of playing through a traditional cab. Some may prefer this exact sound/set up over a preamp (Axe FX) into a power amp/cabinet or a direct Axe FX sound.

Why? Probably so he can record with the exact sound he hears when playing through it. The sound coming direct from the Axe FX with an IR will naturally sound different.

In any event, I've seen Marco mic up his Redsound speakers for people to hear their frequency response as a monitor for the Axe FX. It may be something he does regularly to get that controlled feedback.

I try to think of it similar to when people "profile" or model a modeler, because the modeler is typically based on a real amp. So it becomes a copy of a copy of a copy. Some may prefer that to the original. It may sound crazy to some, but it really isn't. In studios engineers are often splitting signals through multiple amps and cabinets, maybe not in series, but there is no reason to say you can't create an IR of an FRFR speaker.
Spot on understanding.

Back
Top Bottom