Red Wirez example (outside of the AxeFX)

Gasp100

Power User
I posted this on TGP, but figured I'd post it here too. I cannot wait to get my AxeFX back! If this stuff seems daunting to some people, I can attest (even though I'm in IT guy and very comfortable with DAW's and gear in general) it's pretty easy to figure out. Use this forum and the Red Wirez site as your guide, it's worth it!

I couldn't wait for my AxeFX Standard to arrive and I had enough gear (really just a guitar, audio interface, Reaper and the keFIR convolution VST plugin (Free)) to at least test (beyond the convolution bot program on the Red Wirez site, which is pretty damn nifty I might add) so I could at least hear a very small portion of the IR's.

So, I used Reaper (somehow I have Cakewalk DX's left over from an old Sonar install that show up as available FX in Reaper (cool, the more the better I always say). I used the Cakewalk Amp Sim (DX) which is pretty much HORRID imho to get a Brit Crunch amp sound. So, it's my Tele direct into my audio interface - Cakewalk Brit Crunch amp sim with NO CAB selected. I played a track, then duplicated it three times (extremely simple with Reaper). I then used the recommended (and free) keFIR "convolution plug in) -- it's just a VST plug in that lets you load IR's (in wav format) into a track(s) in your DAW (ie. Reaper, Sonar, etc...).

So now I have three (pretty nasty sounding) Brit Crunch tracks from Cakewalk / Sonar Amp Sim. I then have a VST plug in on each track (keFIR) and I have a different Red Wirez IR loaded into each one. I believe I used:

Track 1: AC30-Royer-1" from cap

Track 2: AC30-C414 - 6" from edge of cap

Track 3: AC30-Stereo room mic

In the clip it starts off with is the plain amp sim (yuk), then I add one IR (that was bypassed) back in one track at a time. So the end result is three tracks (same exact clip) with all of the cab/mic IR's on it.

The difference is astounding and to be honest, I spent VERY LITTLE time determining which IR's I wanted to use. There are a ton of options, I'm have NO latency issues using the FREE keFIR download and it's SIMPLE if you have used any type of DAW with ANY type of DX or VST plugin.

I suspect this will sound a million times better with the AxeFX because the actual initial SOURCE amp quality BLOWS the Cakewalk/Sonar amp sim out of the water. But, this is a great way to audition these IR's simply and easily and obviously shows you don't need an AxeFX to take advantage of these IR's.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8037116

On a side note, when writing down the process this seems very difficult, but it's simple and nothing out of the ordinary for home recording enthusiasts who record direct to disk. The amount of options provided with the big box Red Wirez IR's is astounding. Now I'm SUPER stoked for the AxeFX to get here.

If you have ever played a nice Vox (or killer clone) the thing that always jumps out is the pleasing, forward midrandge and the swirly/chimey top end that just kind of hangs in the air. Like I said, these tracks don't sound great mainly because the initial amp sim SUCKS but it's clear that when the IR's are added in they add THAT dimension (at least to my ear) even though I haven't decided on which combo of cab / mic / placement will work best for my useage). IMHO of course, YMMV....

Here is a screenshot of what my Reaper session looked like. I have circled the FX within the track and also circle how I was able to easily bypass the IR's and add them back in one by one. Reaper allows you to bounce the mix to a track (outside of Reaper in mp3, wav or any other format for the final mix). Reaper is the BOMB!!! Here is the link to resize for a larger view: http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg22 ... ezAC30.jpg

CakeAmpRedWirezAC30.jpg

I see some problems in that picture.

On the keFIR the "MIX" MUST be on 100% otherwise you will be mixing "no cab" sound in the final result.
The "Lenght" should be on about 40% (0.08 sec) to take advantage of the full lenght of the Redwirez cabs, especially the longer Ambiance IR's.

So, it's my Tele direct into my audio interface - Cakewalk Brit Crunch amp sim with NO CAB selected.

That didn't sound like a "NO CAB" amp to me, that's why your example sounded pretty good even with the MIX not at 100%.

;)

Back
Top Bottom