Red lace candy from the 70's -80's ?

1poorplayer

Power User
Does anyone know where to find the red lace candy , commonly sold in malls in the 70's and 80's ?

When I was a kid , I loved the stuff. My attempts to buy red lace "licorice" these days has been a complete failure. It all tastes like that twizzler crap , and leaves a chemical taste in your mouth afterwards.
The original lace was hollow too.
Anyone out there know what I'm talking about ?

Thanks for the replies. I believe both of these suggestions are rooted from the same manufacturer. Gustaf's.
This company was one of my failed attempts. Not it.
I didn't think this quest was going to be an impossible task when I started. I tried a little "Google search" myself , and came to realize I might be out of luck.

I knew there were more people out there who felt the same , but got no further in the search - after reading this web page - http://www.shaunrichman.org/?p=150

Red Vines maybe? That stuff has been around since the 50's.

In terms of taste , it's probably one of the closest I've found.
It's funny , I had a craving for this stuff , out of the blue one day. Stopped at a candy shop with my kids , thinking it would be a blast from the past. Instead , it was yuck !
Tried to find the "real" stuff and hit a dead end. I had no idea it was like finding an archeological artifact !

Ohhhh I know exactly the type of candy you're talking about...I loved that stuff. I'd tie the strings up in big knots and chow down. I remember getting grape and spearmint strings too. Good luck on your mission....:cool:

Yep remeember the red and grape stuff too. Good luck with your quest. This thread has me thinking of other childhood candies I'd like to find.

Back
Top Bottom