Recreating the "resonance" feature in NadIR

I was having a hell of a time finding the right IR for my guitar tone on my FM3. Trying to do it on the unit itself was not working because whatever sounded good in the headphones did not necessarily sound good in a mix, re-amping didn't seem to work well because I can't get the reamped amp sound to sound as good (will probably make another thread on this), what ended up working was just muting the cab block, then loading the IRs on a single channel in my DAW using NadIR so I could listen to the IRs in a full stereo mix while I browed through them, and I nailed the exact tone I wanted.

So I loaded up those IRs on my FM3 and hit record and got this

Something is missing. Exact same amp settings IR's etc. It turns out I accidently had the "resonance" knob in NadIR set at 40% and whatever that is is the secret ingredient that just ties everything together. It's boosting some frequencies, cutting the bass and adding a little bit of saturation and there's a bit of "snarl" that I really like. Is there a way I could recreate this effect with EQ? I've been trying all night to no avail. I could record the entire album with the cab block turned off just to get that effect, but I'd rather not. It'd be nice to have this tone on my FM3 and just be able to plug right in and go, or at least be able to get it from an EQ patch on my DAW.

Last edited:
I haven't tried NadIR, but maybe you can find what you need in the "Speaker" section of the amp block? There's a Cab resonance and Speaker drive knob there. The Speaker impedance curve could also be something to try experimenting with.

Back
Top Bottom