Recording via USB vs XLR... (I can't hear a difference)

Boy_Narf

Hello Everyone,

I've been doing some testing recording via USB direct from the FM3, or running the XLR out into my Roland Studio Capture input 15/16 (no preamp, just line in). I honestly can't tell the difference between them. I would have thought the direct USB sound would be more clear or pristine, don't know. Just figured there would be some more degradation/difference via XLR. I did buy the shortest highest quality XLR cables that are avaliable at L&M so maybe that's helping?

Anyone notice any differences on their setup? I was planning to use XLR to avoid the recording latency issues but I've not noticed them TBH. Maybe I subconsciously play ahead of the beat and the latency makes it perfect haha.

Ramping up to do some recording in the next little bit and was just planning how to route things.

Thx.

The analog circuitry in the interface will make more of a difference than the actual cables (ie, assuming the cables are good quality). If you’re running into balanced line inputs with good gain staging the difference between that and USB/SPDIF should be negligible. It’s only if you’re running it into ‘color’ mic pres that you should start to notice a difference, and even then it will be minimal unless you’re pushing them into saturation.

As for latency - I don’t know how much the USB introduces, but perhaps it’s no more than converting through a DAC and then back through an ADC at the interface.

Back
Top Bottom