Recording quality using this method?

macc009

I found that when I ran a single XLR cable from the left output 1 on the Axe-Fx to the mic/instrument input on my M-audio ProFire 610 the quality was better than if I ran a 1/4" cable from output 1 to the same input on my interface. I also tried running a 1/4" cable from the Axe-Fx output 1 to the line-in on the back of my interface and the quality of the XLR method was still better. The problem is that running an XLR from the output 1 of the Axe-Fx to the front mic/instrument input of my interface causes the interface to overload unless I turn the output of the particular patch I'm using on the Axe-Fx down to about -15. Also, even if I turn the gain knob all the way down on my interface for the specific input that I'm using sound can still come through. I assume this is because I'm trying to connect a balanced signal to an unbalanced one?

Would using a product like this be the best route for me to attain maximum quality and not have to lower the output of the Axe-Fx so much?
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=331685

Once again I'm using an M-Audio ProFire 610 interface and was thinking that running and XLR from (left only) output 1 on the Axe-Fx to a 1/4" Line-in on the back of my interface would be the best way to get the highest quality... but I need some advice. ALSO, should my ground lift be on/off (clicked to the left or right...)? I'm recording going straight into the Axe-Fx then from that into the interface then into my computer and using Logic Studio Pro 8.

Thanks for any advice/recommendations in advance...I just got the Ultra a few days ago and I'm very ignorant when it comes to recording setups.

Hmmm..

Can you try turning down the physical output 1 knob on the front of the Axe Fx first before buying anything new? Sounds like your just sending too hot a signal into your interface. I'd check the out 1 level knob and see if you can turn it down to where it doesn't overload the interface input. It wont effect your tone.

Larry
[attachment=0:69y1c8oh]Picture 5.png[/attachment:69y1c8oh]

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    86.8 KB · Views: 124
Back
Top Bottom