Real amp vs Fractal Tone Match

Jon Kaneshiro

Experienced
Vendor

I’ve been wanting to make a video like this for awhile. If you’ve followed my journey, I’ve been tone matching a bunch of amps into “tone match packs”. Essentially the Fractal version of a profile or capture pack. The Two Rock has been a hard one to capture for some reason mainly because this amp has a lot of mids and bass. With that said, I think I found the recipe for a very accurate tone match!

In this video I compare a real amp vs the tone match of the amp. Mic placements remain the same. Only major differences are reverb and that I accidentally left room ambience in the cab block.

Charlie Difference GIF by Adult Swim

You can hear it well when you start at 4:58 and then when the other audio comes. The real amp got more attack, is more dynamic

You can hear it well when you start at 4:58 and then when the other audio comes. The real amp got more attack, is more dynamic
🤷🏻‍♂️ I think the tone match was quite accurate in this case. The accuracy line in the Config page was very straight and with reverb off I couldn’t tell the difference when switching back and forth. The reverb and room ambience made a big difference.

🤷🏻‍♂️ I think the tone match was quite accurate in this case. The accuracy line in the Config page was very straight and with reverb off I couldn’t tell the difference when switching back and forth. The reverb and room ambience made a big difference.
It is already very good to have this option don’t get me wrong👍🏻 but I still listen to a difference. At home it is the same when I compare my head to the axe. The thing is that the amp isn’t compressed. It is good and not good. You can have peaks with an amp because of that if you attack too much. They are less risk with the axe once it is well leveled

It is already very good to have this option don’t get me wrong👍🏻 but I still listen to a difference. At home it is the same when I compare my head to the axe. The thing is that the amp isn’t compressed. It is good and not good. You can have peaks with an amp because of that if you attack too much. They are less risk with the axe once it is well leveled
Very true! I’m curious if running a test signal through the tone match block vs playing would yield a better result. Or maybe running a loop at the front end? I just want the most accurate tone match I can make!

I have done this for you . You see, there is a gap

I use a telecaster. I just change bridge to neck pickup with the same riff.

Spongier two rock, compressed (It seems cs-3 in tannoy reveal 802) the matched sound.
Also good work considering It isn' t profiler.

Spongier two rock, compressed (It seems cs-3 in tannoy reveal 802) the matched sound.
Also good work considering It isn' t profiler.
Thank you! Considering adding a tiny bit in the output compression to get it there. Really happy with this tone match result.

I’m hearing the same thing a e is a bit brighter and clear in all notes to me. Maybe not cleared but each not has a bit brighter set of over tones, or a little less on the bass end.
Totally. I’m sure if I turned off the room ambience in the cab block and dialed in the fractal reverb a bit better the differences would be more minimal.

Such a nice job, Jon! I just loaded up the new v6 version, and it does indeed sound even better than the previous version, which I also liked. I think that we are splitting hairs on this one, but that's okay. That is what these forums are for, and you've been great at taking feedback from the group and, of course, your own ears to get incrementally better at honing your tone-matching technique! I'd love to see you do something similar to the other tone-matched amps you've done like the SSS, Fuchs ODS, Wonderland, Benson Monarch, etc.

Such a nice job, Jon! I just loaded up the new v6 version, and it does indeed sound even better than the previous version, which I also liked. I think that we are splitting hairs on this one, but that's okay. That is what these forums are for, and you've been great at taking feedback from the group and, of course, your own ears to get incrementally better at honing your tone-matching technique! I'd love to see you do something similar to the other tone-matched amps you've done like the SSS, Fuchs ODS, Wonderland, Benson Monarch, etc.
Thanks so much for the kind words! Being that the Two Rock is more directly correlated to John Mayer tone makes me chase the “perfect” tone match even more. I do want another crack at the SSS! But I did just tone match a Victory V140 Super Duchess and will have a rare Two Rock Matt Schofield sig coming too.

Back
Top Bottom