Re-amped guitars in this piece

Per Boysen

Inspired
Hi Guys,

Being a quite new AxeFx user I just tried re-amping for the first time. I had this old recording that needed a face-lift for certain application. So I selected AxeFx as the audio interface in Logic and set the Axe to "USB". It was very easy to to re-amp one guitar track at a time, but I wasn't able to find the "four digital channels" mentioned in the manual. Logic only detected "Input 1-2" and "Output 1-2" on the AxeFx, so I had to solo the orignal guitar track in Logic and set the recording track to "no output" (preventing a digital feedback loop). There was no way of pre listening to the AxeFx sound in context because there was only one stereo channel in and one out. Maybe the manual just sums up the mono channels for these two to get the figure 4? Anyway, it worked well with Logic using the AxeFx as audio interface and the Mac using the RME studio interface. I picked a sound I guessed would work and had to play through the piece while recording before being able to really hear if the new sound worked well in context. I would appreciate if someone else is doing re-amp work and has a better method to suggest (that allows pre-viewing of AxeFx applied on recorded one-in guitar tracks with all other track in the project also running).

The music is for a special purpose, not the kind of music I play for fun on a free afternoon, and I'm happy with what the AxeFx added. The STratocaster has Lace Holy Graal pickups, which I think you can hear, but I must say I'm not all happy with those. They color the sound in a lame way (to my taste) and when I'm listening to this I here more Holy Graal then Stratocaster... it should be the other way around ;-)) I think my old PUs were Fender originals, they sounded better by tone color but were way too noisy for recording. The second guitar is a fretless with an active EMG humbucker in neck position. The bass is a Chapman Grand STick. All three were originally recorded by line-in and I think re-amping through the AxeFx made the general sound much better.

Back
Top Bottom