R2D2 if he was an Amp Sim (& AX8 Comparison)

Stevetzag

IMG_2561.jpg
My FM3, where it sits on my desk.
Back in whatever year, I got the AX8. Pretty funny story: I got mail saying I had savings bonds that reached their maturity- total surprise. Anyway... 10 savings bonds later... I ordered the AX8. Holy shit, the thing blew my mind. Before getting the AX8, I was using a friends copy of Bias FX. When I first tried out a few presets, I knew I had a LOT of learning to do. When I heard the FM3 was coming out, I sold my AX8 on eBay.

Won't go into detail here, but, I spent all my FM3 money- and another set of strange and random circumstances allowed me to buy the FM3.
I got it on the waiting list, by the time they got to me they only had the headphone version (the one I wanted.)

REVIEW STARTS HERE:

So in my experience, my virgin ears only heard the likes of: the AX8, FM3, and desktop software for guitar tones.
I can't really comment on the AX8 vs the FM3 sound wise, didn't have them both at once.
But what I CAN compare a bit, so here are a few differences I really noticed by upgrading.

FM3
AX8
MY THOUGHTS
Stomp-Switches3, used in different ways (eg. one sec hold)I actually forgot how many... like 11 or something. Depends on the user, but I think once you get good at the 3, that's all you'll need.
Form FactorFits in most bags or on most desks, wish there was a hard top cover though... hint vendors...Fits in a bag a bit larger than an average backpack, generally not suitable for desk top use.Can't go wrong with the FM3's sleek size. Not a fair comparison.
Operating System & ScreenFull colour, hard to understand how to do everything on the FM3 at first, but way easier than..............Monochrome, a little harder to understand what's going on. Never mastered it personally.While I'd rather play my Gameboy Advance SP instead of my Switch, can't say the same for this... FM3 wins it.
Beef (CPU/Secret Sauce)Hit the limit a couple of times, and only when using a lot of effects at once.I found that I would be hitting the CPU limit a lot more often. Ultimately the FM3 wins here, it's a no brainer. I find I can do what I personally need to do with it, within the CPU limit.
Use as a Blunt WeaponCould really hurt, but I'd go for something heavier.You're getting knocked out, buddy!As a self defense weapon, I would get good with handling the AX8.

Jokes aside, I feel like almost every AX8 user would benefit personally from going through with the upgrade.
If you're like me (at one point), and don't have much experince with amps or even amp sims:

I'd personally say it's worth pulling the trigger and dropping 1K on an FM3.
These things are built like tanks, I have a feeling this unit will last a long time, and once you have it- all that's left is to learn about your new gear.
It's a huge learning curve but YouTube is your friend there. I'd suggest watching Leon Todd. Once you learn how to use it, you can make amazing tones.

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase.

Fractal did not pay me for this review, but it would be totally cool if they sent me a hat lol

Back
Top Bottom