quite a bit different H impression

Helix FW 1.04 is about to drop. They're making headway. Getting in early and giving up early is always a "danger." I'm hanging in there, but I bought from WWBW so mine arrived a little later. I need to figure out when my 45 day window is up, but so far I like it enough.
Some people are going to like it, and some people aren't. Pretty much true with anything. I never perceived any "danger" in checking out a Helix since the biggest risk was return shipping.

With the Helix platform I'm already through the decision making process having moved on to Fractal.

If someone likes their own gear is all that really matters from where I'm sitting. :)

Last edited:
i bought from wwbw as well.. and returned it...i know it has potential in many areas and WILL likely get better.I was torn but the amps just didnt do it for me. I liked the ac30..soldano..and i think 2 others as well as i thought the effects were decent. The felxability is crazy great and it looked nice. I guess its nice to get in and really tweak away but from the get go it didnt sound good to me. I am lazy that way and if i kept it like it i would likely download others patches i liked and go from there. Maybe i should have kept it...I am on the ax8 list..i dont need or even want both units so who knows i may revisit the helix down the road or see if they release a scaled down version with the hz modeling-for some reason i sense a trickle down method coming from line6 to fill that gap from $500- $1500..I mean their real market is the 300-1000 range in truth. I think the $1500 market is a test for them to push the limits a bit..like they did with the vetta amp and well it sold but not like they hoped i bet. So the helix is selling and keeping the supply low is helping fuel that gotts to have vibe and keeping the buzz alive. Plenty of guys outside the gear page wont even dream of dropping 1500 on the helix..i think a majority actually. I could be wrong but from what i hear the helix is NOT yet in the fractal/kemper arena yet...tone wise. Price wise and featurewise yes.

Last edited:
exactly what the doctor ordered... thank you guys! I noticed a boomy sound as well and dialed the lows back a bit. Will try more and let you know how it works - but my bets are at least 70:30 for the AX8.

Now, some more AX8-info please from the ones who should know

The AX8 should sound like an AxeFX II with Quantum.

As for the boomy sound of the Helix, make sure you're upgraded to fw 1.03 (and 1.04 when it's released). In your cab block (or even in your global eq), try changing the Low Cut to 75hz and Hi Cut to 7.5 kHz (I think I have the hz and khz parts right..., but the numbers are what I used). That took care of the boomy sound and the high end harshness for me and many others.

Some people are going to like it, and some people aren't. Pretty much true with anything. I never perceived any "danger" in checking out a Helix since the biggest risk was return shipping.

With the Helix platform I'm already through the decision making process having moved on to Fractal.

If someone likes their own gear is all that really matters from where I'm sitting. :)
To clarify, the danger was trying it and returning out while the initial issues were being addressed. It's already better than the day it arrived at my house. But there's certainly something to be said about waiting 6 months before buying one so others can get the kinks out. If it wasn't for the 20% off, I would have waited.

To clarify, the danger was trying it and returning out while the initial issues were being addressed. It's already better than the day it arrived at my house. But there's certainly something to be said about waiting 6 months before buying one so others can get the kinks out. If it wasn't for the 20% off, I would have waited.
Roger. :):cool:

Last edited:
David is completely correct here in my eyes!

Trying the Helix out in the 1st batch was the issue for me. While I liked it & got usable tones, it just didn't feel that the Helix was right or finished yet.

While I knew (& know) that Line 6 would fix & adjust any & all issues along the way w/ firmware updates, I was kind of surprised that the tone issues were there at all.

I thought that the beta testers would provide feedback that would have fixed it & corrected the input issues & other items on the tone list.

While the Helix will rise up, Line 6 has lost a lot of buyers that have now moved onto other products.

In the end it helps all of us that each new product brings different elements to the table design wise.

The AX8 has a lot going for it since the amp modeling technology is proven & has been tested & refined for years & years now. The AX8 also comes out of the gate w/ the fractal name & reputation of excellence.

Just some thoughts......

X

Ladies and gentlemen, I pulled the trigger: I will send the H. back. Not because I would not like the sounds: After updating to 1.03 fw I found some pretty good ones actually, dialled in very quickly. So why do I return this capable unit? Look at my first post. I want my gear also to be small and sexy, and I prefer the formfactor and tactile feel of the AX8. Not bashing the H. at all, it is a great unit and some do prefer its looks and features.
So, welcome AX8 - I also ordered the active matrix cab as a great (sorry small) companion. How can I do this without comparing the floorboards side by side? Because after listening here and playing with the FX8 I am quite confident I will get what I expected: A warm sounding small and sexy mofo that will surprise me with new devellopments in the future. My stomach says: yes. Can you understand me?

Ladies and gentlemen, I pulled the trigger: I will send the H. back. Not because I would not like the sounds: After updating to 1.03 fw I found some pretty good ones actually, dialled in very quickly. So why do I return this capable unit? Look at my first post. I want my gear also to be small and sexy, and I prefer the formfactor and tactile feel of the AX8. Not bashing the H. at all, it is a great unit and some do prefer its looks and features.
So, welcome AX8 - I also ordered the active matrix cab as a great (sorry small) companion. How can I do this without comparing the floorboards side by side? Because after listening here and playing with the FX8 I am quite confident I will get what I expected: A warm sounding small and sexy mofo that will surprise me with new devellopments in the future. My stomach says: yes. Can you understand me?

I looked at my FX8 last night and it is small. A good bit smaller than the Helix. BUT..... The AX8/FX8 needs that external expression pedal so that has to be thrown into the mix. Once I do that, that difference isn't material to me.

I looked at my FX8 last night and it is small. A good bit smaller than the Helix. BUT..... The AX8/FX8 needs that external expression pedal so that has to be thrown into the mix. Once I do that, that difference isn't material to me.

Yep, that's true, but a) it is still 2 inches less wide and sometimes I leave my Dunlop exp pedal at home, especially when I have acoustic guitars at the gig.

Awesome & congrats to you man! :cool:
Thanx for the congrats, x-mann!

I completely get what you mean, my stomach says: yes... that gut feeling was the last straw for me cancelling my H order and waiting on the AX8.

I completely get what you mean, my stomach says: yes... that gut feeling was the last straw for me cancelling my H order and waiting on the AX8.

I planned a fair tone shootout at first, but I can´t keep the H long enough until the AX8 arrives. I am not good at sensing gut feelings but if they´re there I should for a change let them guide me, lol...

I planned a fair tone shootout at first, but I can´t keep the H long enough until the AX8 arrives. I am not good at sensing gut feelings but if they´re there I should for a change let them guide me, lol...

Yeah, lol, that's what I was wanting to do at first as well... just to be fair but I would be just now getting it and I am sure the return period would have expired before I could get an Ax8.

I have been fighting the urge to snag a Helix. Since I sold my Axe to grab the AX8 I have been in la la land waiting. Thing that keeps me from pulling the trigger is the Axe amp and cab sound quality. When I bought the Axe 6 months ago I knew it was "the one" within about 5 minutes, I was literally blown away. It's hard, but I simply will wait for the AX8, I know it will be killer.

Back
Top Bottom