Questions for those using a Traynor K4 amp with your AXE

skinny141

Long time listener - first time caller. ;)

I've had my Ultra for just 2 days and so far have only had time to sample the presets. I'm using it connected via XLR input into channel 2 of my Traynor K4 amp. However, with it hooked up this way and with the AXE's Output knob set down at around the 9:30 position, many of the presets are clipping at the amp, even though the amp's gain is set very low. I've set the Input level to the AXE per the instructions in the manual. Unfortunately, I've loaned out all of my 1/4" cables, or I'd play around using different inputs into the amp. The manual for the amp has not been very helpful. Should the Traynor be clipping at such a low AXE output level? I'm curious to hear from other users of this amp which channel you use and what levels you use to avoid clipping.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

skinny141 said:
Long time listener - first time caller. ;)

I've had my Ultra for just 2 days and so far have only had time to sample the presets. I'm using it connected via XLR input into channel 2 of my Traynor K4 amp. However, with it hooked up this way and with the AXE's Output knob set down at around the 9:30 position, many of the presets are clipping at the amp, even though the amp's gain is set very low. I've set the Input level to the AXE per the instructions in the manual. Unfortunately, I've loaned out all of my 1/4" cables, or I'd play around using different inputs into the amp. The manual for the amp has not been very helpful. Should the Traynor be clipping at such a low AXE output level? I'm curious to hear from other users of this amp which channel you use and what levels you use to avoid clipping.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Hey Jeff welcom to the Axe fourm.

You may need to look at the global EQ settings in the Axe and bring it down a bit to keep the Traynor from clipping. Also each block in the chain has an output level controll and it can be tweeked their as well to further balance levels from patch to patch. I hope that helps.

I'm a K4 user. I use unbalanced 1/4" cables (from Axe-Fx Output2) to K4 Chan. 1 inputs (L & R), because the Axe-Fx is always 10' (or less) away from the K4. I run the Axe-Fx Output2 levels between 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock. Output1 is reserved for DI to house. I use "Copy Out1->Out2".

There's no problem for me with the Axe-Fx clipping the K4's input stages with this setup. Part of the reason why may be related to Axe-Fx's balanced outs (XLRs) being +6 dB hotter than its unbalanced outs.

You might try a pair of unbalanced cables and see if your input-clipping issue goes away.

Thanks a lot for the replies! I had not read or heard that the Axe's balanced outputs were 6 dB hotter than the unbalanced - that's really good to know. It seems that the K4's XLR input is for a mic, so that's working against me, too. As soon as I get my 1/4" cables back, I'll try using them instead. In the meantime I'm having a great time with the Axe!

xrist04 - Since you're a K4 user also, let me ask another question. Do you use the K4 as your monitor when you're building a patch? If so, are you usually still satisfied with this patch's sound when you go direct to the house system?

Take care and thanks again!
Jeff

xrist04 said:
I'm a K4 user. I use unbalanced 1/4" cables (from Axe-Fx Output2) to K4 Chan. 1 inputs (L & R), because the Axe-Fx is always 10' (or less) away from the K4. I run the Axe-Fx Output2 levels between 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock. Output1 is reserved for DI to house. I use "Copy Out1->Out2".

Me too!

Back
Top Bottom