Question regarding grounding a selector switch.

oraab

Hi, I just put on my big boy shoes and bought a soldering iron and multimeter to replace my pickups. Everything went fine and there were no horrible accidents. But while I was checking for continuity, I noticed that the blade on the selector switch wasn't giving me a beep. Should it? The casing on the switch inside the electronic cavity is grounded, so I'm confused. This guitar has always been rather noisy so I'm trying to narrow the cause down.

This is the switch in question, on an Indonesian made Ibanez. The part I'm asking about is marked, in case I used the wrong terminology.
switch.jpg
I would be grateful for any help with my stupid question!

I think it depends on the switch. If the switch has a plastic pivot internally, it might be isolated from the switch body or case. On the open body switches used by Fender the blade typically is grounded since the blade pivot connects directly to the metal switch body with a metal pin.

I can't see it making much difference since the electrical contacts are isolated from the blade lever either way.

Last edited:
I think it depends on the switch. If the switch has a plastic pivot internally, it might be isolated from the switch body or case. On the open body switches used by Fender the blade typically is grounded since the blade pivot connects directly to the metal switch body with a metal pin.

I can't see it making much difference since the electrical contacts are isolated from the blade lever either way.
I replace this type of switch with an open, metal-frame switch, so the switch lever is grounded wtith the switch and never functions as a hum/noise injection point....

If you are unsure you can see what is going on with the continuity function of your multi meter. You can also ground the chassis with a washer;
IMG_1622.jpeg
This prevents any damage to the switch from heat if there is no obvious place to solder.

Back
Top Bottom