Question regarding FM9 + my computer setup

Hi! I'm preparing to receive my FM9 tomorrow, but I do have a question.

I'd like to add the FM9 to my existing setup: Yamaha HS5s + Roland soundcard. I use my monitors for other things besides playing music, so i'd like to find a good solution to keep everything plugged in at all times, while being able to use the monitors without the FM9 for my other activities (videos, playing games etc).

I'm considering the following options:
  1. Small mixer where I connect everything
  2. Upgrade my soundcard to a new model with SPIDIF, connect the Axe via SPIDIF, so i'd have to turn on the FM9 when needed.
  3. Passive switcher (Mackie Big Knob), though I don't know if I could use the FM9 + audio from my computer at the same time with this solution.
I know I could connect everything to my FM9, but I don't want to have the unit on at all times when is not needed. Any recommendations?

Thank you!

Are you running Win10/11?

For my FM9 setup I have:
1. output 1 on the FM9 to my speakers (Redsounds)
2. output 2 on the FM9 into the Audient Evo 16 (input 3/4)
3. output 1/2 on the Evo 16 to my desktop monitors

My default soundcard on my Win10 machine is the Evo16. With this setup I can have my FM9 on all the time, listen to music, etc. without having to switch any wires around and without any additional mixers. My presets on the FM9 all (typically) have Output 1 and a separate Output 2 block to feed the nearfield monitors off the Evo.

All works well for my purposes. Hopefully that helps give you a general idea of one setup option. I don't know that you'd absolutely need the mixer or SPDIF connections but it's possible based on your use case and ins/outs on the Roland.

I'd like to add the FM9 to my existing setup: Yamaha HS5s + Roland soundcard. I use my monitors for other things besides playing music, so i'd like to find a good solution to keep everything plugged in at all times, while being able to use the monitors without the FM9 for my other activities (videos, playing games etc).

2. Upgrade my soundcard to a new model with SPIDIF, connect the Axe via SPIDIF, so i'd have to turn on the FM9 when needed.
  3. Passive switcher (Mackie Big Knob), though I don't know if I could use the FM9 + audio from my computer at the same time with this solution.
I know I could connect everything to my FM9, but I don't want to have the unit on at all times when is not needed. Any recommendations?

Thank you!
I went with option #2. The only downside is that it requires always working in 48k. It’s a much cleaner setup than using a mixer, doesn’t require switching cables or devices in your DAW, records the FM9 output at the best possible quality with no conversions, keeps your workflow consistent because all your audio goes thru the sound card,
etc.

I use something more expensive bc I have more needs than this can provide but the sound card I always recommend for people with a basic setup is a Scarlett 8i6 because although the mic pres aren’t the best of the best, it’s <$200 used, has clean line ins and line outs, good headphone amps, SPDIF I/O, good drivers, is cross platform, and has a software mixer.

Last edited:
I have a Focusrite audio interface with SPDIF which is driving my studio monitors. I connect my AxeFx3 into the Focusrite using SPDIF. It works well.

One downside to this is that you don't have an Output EQ for the digital outputs so if you want to tweak EQ for your monitors then you will need to use an EQ block in your preset. At least i don't think the out blockneq applies to digital outputs....going to try now.

Thank you!

Thete are some other options you might consider. The answer depends on what exactly you want to do. For example, do you want to do re-amping? You’ll find complete instructions here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

Are you running Win10/11?

For my FM9 setup I have:
1. output 1 on the FM9 to my speakers (Redsounds)
2. output 2 on the FM9 into the Audient Evo 16 (input 3/4)
3. output 1/2 on the Evo 16 to my desktop monitors

My default soundcard on my Win10 machine is the Evo16. With this setup I can have my FM9 on all the time, listen to music, etc. without having to switch any wires around and without any additional mixers. My presets on the FM9 all (typically) have Output 1 and a separate Output 2 block to feed the nearfield monitors off the Evo.

All works well for my purposes. Hopefully that helps give you a general idea of one setup option. I don't know that you'd absolutely need the mixer or SPDIF connections but it's possible based on your use case and ins/outs on the Roland.

Hi! Yes, i'm using Win 11, I know that Mac (correct me if i'm wrong) allows users to have multiple sound cards connected at the same time. Could you post a picture of a preset you have?

I have a Focusrite audio interface with SPDIF which is driving my studio monitors. I connect my AxeFx3 into the Focusrite using SPDIF. It works well.

One downside to this is that you don't have an Output EQ for the digital outputs so if you want to tweak EQ for your monitors then you will need to use an EQ block in your preset. At least i don't think the out blockneq applies to digital outputs....going to try now.

Do you need to have a DAW open to hear the FM9 with that setup?

Hi! Yes, i'm using Win 11, I know that Mac (correct me if i'm wrong) allows users to have multiple sound cards connected at the same time. Could you post a picture of a preset you have?
Not sure on the Mac and multiple sound cards, but yes, for Win10 at least, I've got both the FM9 and my Evo as my "soundcard" devices. Whatever the lingo is for them. The Evo is my "default". I've changed to the FM9 on occasion to record via USB and to capture YT audio using ProTools.

Attached is a basic preset snapshot:

Attachments

• FM9_Preset.JPG
    FM9_Preset.JPG
    197.4 KB · Views: 6

While it’s true that Windows does not have aggregate audio like the Mac, you can achieve something very similar to configuration #4 from the recording guide by using VB Audio Matrix.

Edit: but from what you're saying, configuration #2 may be all you need.

Last edited:
Do you need to have a DAW open to hear the FM9 with that setup?
No. You can "direct monitor" the SPDIF input like any other input on the Focusrite units. Here is a screenshot of the software mixer (it's called "Focusrite Control") showing the SPDIF input. I love this workflow because I have independent control over each input from hardware and software, for example I have the click in my DAW routed to USB 3 so it has its own fader in Focusrite control (bottom right).
2024-02-13 06_48_47-Focusrite Control.png

I don't have all my inputs enabled in the mixer because I don't need to hear my microphones all the time. I use my DAW to monitor those when recording acoustic for example. I have some processing on an aux track that gets printed on the acoustic input track that has input monitoring enabled. But with the Fractal I'm fine monitoring the direct signal from the unit with no further processing in the DAW, and most of the time I'm just practicing so I don't want my DAW open.

Another trick with this setup: to record the dry guitar signal for quantizing and reamping, set the Fractal's SPDIF out source to Input 1 and record that into your DAW.
2024-02-13 07_07_19-FM9-Edit.pngYou can connect XLR to TRS cables from the Fractal to some line inputs on your interface to direct monitor the processed signal while recording the dry through SPDIF, then reamp digitally through SPDIF so there's a total of one AD conversion in the entire process, when your guitar initially goes into the Fractal.

You can see in the screenshot above I have the Focusrite's SPDIF output set to playback 6, so I set the output of the dry guitar track in my DAW to output 6, and change the input of the Fractal to Digital:

2024-02-13 07_10_11-FM9-Edit.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom