Question about latency and buffer.

Thenewexhibit

Experienced
I was wondering about latency and buffer sizes. To my knowledge, the Axe iii doesn't have a buffer adjustment setting anymore, but I could be wrong.. I'm on USB firmware 1.15. I'm on a mac and am in Pro Tools.
Upon looking at DI levels when doing USB recording to know how hot the DI is coming in, I decided to record through my interface as I always do via XLR (Audient EVO 16 with two SP8's) and through USB at the same time. The USB signal (when aligned) did note null with the interface via XLR, which I assume is to be expected; conversions, xlr cable, interface, etc. What I did notice though is that the USB signal is actually later than the interface signal which I found interesting and would have assumed it would be the same if not earlier, and it's off by an amount that would definitely affect the timing of the recorded audio. Is there a reason why this happens? Is there a setting that has to be adjusted in the Axe Fx iii, or on my Mac, or in Pro Tools? I'm (obviously) running aggregate. Does anybody know anything about this?

I'm unable to reproduce that with an aggregate. When I measure it, the signal coming directly from my Axe-FX via USB is quite a bit ahead of the signal that went out an analog output to my Scarlett and from there via USB to the computer.

aggr2.jpg

I'm unable to reproduce that with an aggregate. When I measure it, the signal coming directly from my Axe-FX via USB is quite a bit ahead of the signal that went out an analog output to my Scarlett and from there via USB to the computer.

View attachment 143973
Very strange! My experience is essentially the exact opposite. I thought they would be closer to each other in general. That being said, does that only happen when you do aggregate; that the interface via xlr is delayed?

Back
Top Bottom