Question about CPU Utilization

golfnut

I have read many reviews of FM9T users that they get their CPU utilization up to about 80%, some maxing it. I have several presets set up for my next gig and I see that I'm averaging between 48% and 52%. Just what are others doing to be maxing it out. I admit my needs are pretty simple.
Although I carried a pedal board with about 8 pedals on it with my tube amps I seldom use effects. Compression, delay and chorus is always used super subtly with very rare use of long delays. Drive always comes from the amp for me. I always like hearing clean and driven tones from the amp. I've approached the FM9 with the same philosophy. I have put a fair number of fx blocks in my chain and use them very subtlety. Is this maybe why? I can have lots of fx but if I'm using them on very low settings (mix in dry signal about 40%-50%) that has a minimal effect on CPU? I can't see I'll ever get much over 60%.

Well, you did say your needs are pretty simple. Plus, we all use our FM9T differently. For example, although I mess around with other presets from time to time, I gig and rehearse with only one preset, of the kitchen sink variety. In this preset I'm using multiple channels on many blocks (i.e. rotary fast/slow, delay 1/4 or 1/8 note, different octave settings. I have two amp channels in a block, with a footswitch to change between the two... Things like that.

Plus a lot of per-preset switches and other things that all require some CPU. It adds up. My one preset hovers at around 79-80%, and I had to work to get it that low.

Last edited:
Well, you did say your needs are pretty simple. Plus, we all use our FM9T differently. For example, although I mess around with other presets from time to time, I have only gig and rehearse with only one preset, of the kitchen sink variety. In this preset I'm using multiple channels on many blocks (i.e. rotary fast/slow, delay 1/4 or 1/8 note, different octave settings. I have two amp channels in a block, with a footswitch to change between the two... Things like that.

Plus a lot of per-preset switches and other things that all require some CPU. It adds up. My one preset hovers at around 79-80%, and I had to work to get it that low.

My love of simplicity is what kept me from jumping on the Digital modeling parade for so long.
One of my favorite amps that I owned from the past, Dr Z Carmen Ghia. Volume and tone knob. That through a Dr Z open back 2x celestion blues was magical. Would love to recreate that on the FM9. As well I would love to recreate the Dr Z Stangray.

Back
Top Bottom