QSC HPR vs. Atomic Reactor: Trying to get some satisfaction

GEN DAWG

Folks -- From the beginning, yes, I understand I'm asking for a highly subjective, apples-to-oranges comparison, but here goes. I now have the following setup AFX-->SLA-2-->passive FRFR speakers. The speakers are not expensive, and they sound that way, so yes, I know, I 'll need to change my setup going forward. That's not the question. The question is which switch is the right switch.

Conceptually, I like switching to a powered FRFR speaker, and the QSC HPR 122i is a leading candidate. Everyone seems to like it pretty well, including Scott Peterson, who seems to be extraordinarily well informed. I like this because I really dig the power amp, cab, and mic models on the Axe and would love to have that same feel when I play live (mostly at church). BUT I'm concerned that I'm just not ever going to love getting my live sound from an FRFR solution. So far, in my experience, it doesn't feel real, like plugging into an amp does. And feel makes a huge difference to me.

So is the Atomic Reactor my solution? I can run portions of the Axe patches (sans power amp and cabs blocks, etc.) and still get tube amp feel for my live sound. How do people who have tried both feel about both?

For what it's worth, I play mostly cleanish to lower gain to medium gain stuff (AC/DC is about as dirty as I get). Really dig the Maz 38, Hiwatt, and Plexi2 models on the Axe.

Ohhhh the Quandary!!!! ;)

Looks like you should wait on some Atomic FR reviews when it comes out. I have dual Qsc's but lately my monitor mix is just as good with the Yorkvilles. As I was shopping for the FR solutions - I went through 2 Mackie SRM 450 (2), JBL PRX512M (x2)
and now the QSC HPR122i's. I really dig the QSC's and now love the yorkvilles!!! BUT here is what is going to happen.... I will get 2 Atomic FR's and keep my qsc's as part of my PA. As I add on to my pa now the delimma will be ....finish out QSC or Yorkville?

GuitarDojo said:
Ohhhh the Quandary!!!! ;)

Looks like you should wait on some Atomic FR reviews when it comes out. I have dual Qsc's but lately my monitor mix is just as good with the Yorkvilles. As I was shopping for the FR solutions - I went through 2 Mackie SRM 450 (2), JBL PRX512M (x2)
and now the QSC HPR122i's. I really dig the QSC's and now love the yorkvilles!!! BUT here is what is going to happen.... I will get 2 Atomic FR's and keep my qsc's as part of my PA. As I add on to my pa now the delimma will be ....finish out QSC or Yorkville?

Yep, I'm definitely waiting on reviews of the Atomic FR, which appears to be the gear head's Godot. I'd just be interested to hear from someone who has run the Axe thru both an FRFR setup and the current Reactor amps to see how they compared. Again, I realize this is not a 1-to-1 comparison, but I'd like to hear opinions just the same.

The 40 pound thing seems...unlikely, to me, without some compromises.

A 50W tube amp itself is gonna weigh at least 15-20 pounds. That doesn't leave much for speaker(s) and cabinet.

AdmiralB said:

A 50W tube amp itself is gonna weigh at least 15-20 pounds. That doesn't leave much for speaker(s) and cabinet.
but....it will prolly have wheels..... ;)

AdmiralB said:

The power amp alone weighs about 10 pounds. VERY light...I held it in one hand and felt like I could throw a strike with it :lol:. I picked up the whole unit (Cab/Spkr/PwrAmp) and nearly fell over myself expecting it to be much heavier.

If nothing changes weight wise from prototype...40lbs is accurate.

Back
Top Bottom